Aer Lingus, one of the prominent airlines in Europe, is the flag carrier of Ireland. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the International Airlines Group. In this blog, we will discuss the Aer Lingus Baggage Policy so that it would help you to plan your bags in advance. A knowledge of Aer Lingus Baggage policy, handbags, checked baggage allowance, excess baggage fees, and restricted items might provide a better and stress-free traveling experience.
We also suggest you read below related links for further information
So let’s dive into the AerLingus Baggage Policy.
We will first discuss the Aer Lingus baggage allowance which includes the cabin baggage allowance and checked baggage allowance. Remember cabin baggage or carry-on luggage refers to the bags which you take with you into the aircraft cabin and place in the overhead bin. Checked baggage usually refers to those bags which you hand over to the airline and is weighed and then transferred to the hold of the aircraft.
Aer Lingus baggage policy on baggage allowance
What is Aer Lingus baggage Allowance?
While traveling with an airline, you need to know the amount of bags you can carry free of charge whether as carry-on or as checked baggage, and also their weight and size restrictions.
Different airlines have different restrictions or baggage allowances. In this regard, let’s check the Aer Lingus carry-on baggage allowance first before we proceed over to the checked baggage allowance.
Aer Lingus Carry-on Allowance
This differs for regional flights and other normal flights
As per the Aer Lingus allowance, you are allowed to bring
One carry-on bag whose maximum weight should not exceed 10kg or 22lb.
The maximum size dimensions of the bag will be 24 cm deep,40 cm wide, and 55cm high. (9.5×15.5×21.5 inches)
As per Aer Lingus regional allowance, you are allowed to bring
One carry-on bag whose maximum weight should not be greater than 7kg or 15lb.
The size dimensions of the carry-on bag should not be more than 20 cm deep,33cm wide, and 48 cm high (8x13x18.5 inches).
Does Aer Lingus allow an additional handbag or laptop and is it free?
Yes. In addition to the cabin baggage, you will be permitted to bring one small personal item which can include a small handbag or a laptop bag, or a baby changing bag and they should fit under the seat in front of you. Please note that the dimensions should be as follows
20cm deep,33cm wide, and 25 cm high (8x13x10 inches)
In case your bags exceed the size limitations or baggage allowance, then it has to be checked in and a related bag fee will be applied.
General guidelines for Aer Lingus carryon or cabin baggage
- You must place your carry-on baggage into the overhead bin without any assistance
- You are required to place your small personal bags underneath the seat in front of you.
- If you are seated in the emergency exit, store your bags in the overhead bin.
- Sometimes, the airline staff might check your carry-on baggage into the hold due to space limitations.
- Portable electronic devices like mobile phones, tablet devices, and MP3 players no longer have to be switched off during take-off and landing, they can be switched to the airplane mode
- As a matter of fact, the airline does recommend packing your essential items in your carry-on bag and not in your checked baggage. These include money, passports, other identification documents, and personal medicines to which you need quick access.
- Some items which are allowed include wedding cakes, wedding dresses, crystals, toolboxes, and power tools provided they are not powered by gasoline or flammable fuels. However, they should meet specific weight and size limitations.
Aer Lingus Checked Baggage Allowance
Aer Lingus checked baggage allowance depends on the types of fares, routes, and type of selected cabin class.
Basically, Aer Lingus offers 8 different fares: Saver, Advantage, Aerospace, PLUS, FLEX, Smart, Business, and Business flex.
Saver, Advantage, Plus, and Aerospace are available for flights within Europe
Saver, Smart, Flex, Business, and Business Flex are available for transatlantic flights like for flights to /from the USA
Aer Lingus checked baggage size and weight restrictions
- As per Aer Lingus baggage policy, the maximum dimensions of any single checked bag should not exceed 158cm or 62 inches.
- The individual weight of the bag cannot be more than 32kg or 70 lb.
Is it cheaper to pay for Aer Lingus checked bags online?
Yes. There are 3 ways to add checked bags online and the airline offers a discount also if you book through the airline website provided it’s done 2 hours before your flight departure. If you have booked using a travel agent, then you should contact them to add checked bags to your booking.
You can add your bags online
- When you first make a booking online via the website
- You can add bags later using Manage Trip
- You can also add bags during online check-in
How many checked bags can I bring on the Aer Lingus flight?
This depends on your fares and your routes
For flights within Europe
All fares except Saver are permitted to check-in one bag weighing 20kg or 44lb free of charge. This is applicable for Plus, Advantage, and Aerospace fares. Baggage fees will apply for Saver fares as no checked bags are allowed free of charge it.
For transatlantic flights
Passengers with Smart and Flex type of fares are allowed to check in one bag weighing 23kg/50lb.
Passengers traveling in Business Class and holding Business or Business flex fares are allowed to check-in 3 bags with their total combined weight not to exceed 69kg/150lb.
General Guidelines for Aer Lingus checked baggage
- In case of flights within Europe, please ensure that you arrive early at the airport as the bag drop closes 45 minutes before flight departure
- Baggage allowance is per passenger and each way
- Business Class bookings permit 3 free bags
- Saver fares include baggage fees
- As a matter of fact, a maximum of 3 checked bags is allowed per guest, per direction.
- If you are traveling with an infant or children under 2 years, a 10 kg /22lb checked baggage allowance is allowed. Infants are also allowed one collapsible stroller plus one of the items like the car seat, booster seat, or travel cot free of charge.
Aer Lingus Baggage Policy on Checked Baggage fees
The following charges are applicable for Transatlantic flights on a Saver fare
If the booking channel is online,
20kg bag would cost EUR 44.99 or USD 54.99
25kg bag would cost EUR 49.99 or USD 59.99
30kg bag would cost EUR 54.99 or USD 64.99
And for other types of fares (online booking )
20kg bag would cost EUR 59.99 or USD 74.99
25kg bag would cost EUR 64.99 or USD 79.99
30 kg bag would cost EUR 69.99 or USD 84.99
If the booking is done via the airport, then for all types of fares, a 23 kg bag would cost EUR 75 or USD 100. Bag fees are not refundable.
The excess luggage would cost around Eur 75 or USD 100 per overweight piece for transatlantic flights and Eur 10 per kilo for flights within Europe.
Aer Lingus Baggage Policy on Musical instruments
Can I bring musical instruments on the Aer Lingus plane?
Yes, you can. Smaller musical instruments can be taken into the cabin of the aircraft as free carry-on baggage allowance provided they fit into the overhead bin. Larger musical instruments that do not fit in the cabin can be checked in as baggage.
The musical instruments that fit as carry-on luggage should be of the following dimensions
For Aer Lingus flights, the dimensions are 55(H) x 40(W) x 24(L) cm and
For Regional flights the dimensions are 48cm(H)x33cm(w)x20cm(L)
You also have the option to carry mid-sized instruments like a guitar in the cabin provided you purchase an additional seat online for your instrument. The weight of the instrument along with its carry case must not be greater than 75kg /165lbs.
Aer Lingus Baggage Policy on Restricted items
Certain items that can cause harm to the environment are restricted or not allowed. Some of the items which are not allowed as per Aer Lingus baggage policy are given below.
Lighters and matches
Explosives and ammunitions
Loose batteries can cause a short circuit and must be in their original packing or protected and carried in your hand baggage. Items with correctly installed batteries can be packed in checked bags.
What is the Aer Lingus connecting flights baggage policy?
As a matter of fact, if your journey is partially or entirely with partner Airlines, then the baggage allowance may differ. Refer to partner airlines’ websites for more information. Aer Lingus has baggage agreements with the following airlines
Air Canada, Air France, Air Newzealand, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, City Jet, China Airlines, Delta Airlines, EL AL Airlines, Emirates, Etihad, Finnair, Gulf Air, Iberia, JAL, JetBlue Airways, Kenya Airways, KLM, Malaysian Airlines, Martinair, Qantas, Qatar Airways, SAS, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Sri Lankan Airways, Thai Airways, United Airlines, US Airways, Virgin, Wideroe Airlines.
Aer Lingus will check you and your bags for any airline that has a baggage agreement in place.
How much is the Aer Lingus infant baggage?
Infant equipment like one collapsible buggy/stroller is permitted plus one of the following like a car seat, booster seat, or travel cot. They are allowed free of charge. For infants, all carry-on luggage must be added to the adult’s baggage allowance
To conclude, hope you now gained an idea of what the Aer Lingus baggage policy is and this would help you to pack and organize your bags more efficiently.