Have you recently planned a trip via Air Asia? One important factor to consider while planning your trip is to organize your luggage for a hassle-free journey. It would be better to know beforehand the amount of bags you can bring free of charge.
This article will cover the Air Asia Baggage Policy and your cabin baggage and checked baggage allowance. This will help you gain an idea of the charges involved and the weight and size restrictions of your hand baggage as well as your checked luggage.
There are also certain restrictions on the type of items you can carry in your luggage. So let’s dive into the Air Asia Baggage Policy.
Read this article if you are interested in getting information about Air Asia Airlines Baggage Policy fees and rules information. If you wish to book a reservation, you can just visit our homepage. You can also dial our toll-free number +1-800-831-1547 to get the best flights deals, discounts, and special offers.
Air Asia Cabin Baggage Or Carry-on Allowance
- As per AIR ASIA Baggage policy, passengers are permitted to bring one cabin baggage plus one personal item.
- Your personal item can be a handbag or backpack or one piece of a laptop bag or any other small bag whose dimensions will not be greater than 40cm x 30cm x 10cm. The personal item must fit beneath the seat in front of you
- The cabin baggage must fit into the overhead bin above you in the flight cabin and its dimensions should not be greater than 56cm x 36cm x 23cm. What they mean by dimensions is that it would include wheels, handles, and even side pockets.
- The total weight of both the cabin bag plus personal items should not be greater than 7 kg.
- Multiple items should not be tied together as they would not be considered as single cabin baggage.
- All items purchased at the airport would be considered a part of the cabin baggage allowance.
- Due to security reasons, cabin baggage is not allowed on flights which are originating from Jammu or Srinagar Airport.
Can I bring in smart baggage on Air Asia?
Smart baggage is accepted as cabin baggage or checked luggage only under certain conditions. If it has removable batteries, then it should be removed and kept in the cabin luggage. If the smart baggage has batteries that are non-removable, make sure that it is not greater than 0.3 g for lithium metal and 2.7Watt-hour for lithium-ion. Otherwise, you won’t be able to take it in your baggage. It must be switched off and no greater than 2 spare batteries in the cabin baggage are allowed.
What is the cabin baggage allowance for an infant in Air Asia?
As a matter of fact, baby strollers, buggies, and prams will be allowed to be taken as checked baggage free of charge. Infants below 2 years are not given any cabin baggage allowance. An exception to that is for Air Asia India where you are permitted to take 7 kgs of hand baggage for an infant booking. Children above 2 years are given the same cabin baggage allowance as an adult.
Air Asia Checked Baggage Allowance
Checked baggage is free or complimentary only for certain bookings or for certain routes like below
- If you have made a Value Pack, Premium Flex, or Premium Flatbed booking for which 20kg will be given free for Value Pack and Premium Flex while 40 kg for Premium Flatbed.
- If you travel between Dhaka to Kuala Lumpur for which 30 kg is given free
- If you travel domestically on AirAsia then 15 kg of bags are free as checked baggage.
- If you travel on Air Asia India within India for which one piece of 15 kg is free
If you want more than the above, then you have the option to upgrade your baggage allowance by paying charges up to 4 hours before the scheduled departure time. If you exceed the baggage allowance of 40 kg, you will have to pay the excess baggage fees.
Other passengers can purchase an allowance of up to 40 kg per way or upgrade the existing checked baggage allowance. So for passengers traveling to the USA, they will be able to purchase one or two pieces depending on the weight and baggage quantity.
On the other hand, there are two ways to purchase a checked baggage allowance or upgrade it. They are
- Prebooking online (you can be booked your checked baggage through the official website)
- Purchasing at the airport
It is possible to pre-book online after you have made a booking or while making a booking. However after a booking is made, you can pre-book up to 4 hours before flight departure either through MyBookings or AirAsia Mobile App, or AVA. As a matter of fact, this is also the cheapest option available
What if you were not able to do that? Don’t worry, you can still purchase at the airport on the day of departure. However, this will be limited to 15 kg per way and will be charged as per the airport baggage fees.
Pooling or sharing of checked baggage allowances is allowed on Air Asia flights provided they travel on the same booking number and do a bag drop or check-in together.
What are the size and weight restrictions for Air Asia checked baggage?
You are allowed to bring as many bags as you wish but it must be within your purchased or complimentary checked baggage allowance. If you have purchased more than 30kg of baggage allowance, each checked bag should adhere to the following dimensions
- The total dimensions for each checked bag (length+width+height) should be 319 cm or 126 inches and
- The maximum weight should not be greater than 32kg for each bag.
However, for flights to/from the USA, the baggage allowance is based on the piece concept where one bag is regarded as one piece and the maximum weight of each bag should not exceed 20 kg.
What are excess baggage fees for Air Asia flights?
If you have checked in with heavier luggage than what you have pre-booked online, then you might have to pay an excess baggage fee for each additional kilogram. This will depend on the departing airport. You can click here for more information.
What are the items that I can check-in for free on Air Asia?
As per the Air Asia baggage policy, you can check in wheelchairs and mobility devices for free. Also, other items include crutches and walking sticks. Baby strollers and prams are also allowed free of charge.
Air Asia Sports Baggage Policy
As per the Air Asia Baggage Policy, certain types of sports equipment are accepted as a part of checked baggage. Let us first look into these accepted sports equipment which are :
- Tennis or Badminton – This is accepted in a single or multiple racket kit bag. They also accept rackets, balls, or a shuttle.
- Windsurfing equipment is allowed in a recognized relevant bag and one board should not be greater than 277 cm/109 inches.
- Fishing – you can bring fishing equipment in an angling rod case or bag
- Archery – you are allowed to bring one bow, one quiver, and arrows in a standard case.
- Field hockey – you can bring sticks, balls, and pads in a standard team kit bag.
- Ice hockey – you can bring a team kit including sticks in a team bag
- Lacrosse – you are allowed to bring sticks in a team or kit bags
- Ten-pin bowling – this should be kept in a non-rolling carry case and this can contain bowling balls and shoes
- Water skiing equipment – you are allowed to bring one pair of standard water skis in a water skiing bag.
- ALL other sporting items.
Sports clothes, sports bags, and smaller items like football shinpads should not be packed in sporting travel cases.
What are the sports items that are not accepted on Air Asia?
Certain sports items are not accepted due to their large size and handling difficulties such as
- Pole vaults
- Kayaks, canoes, and oars
- Hang gliders
What is the sports equipment that needs allowance fees?
Certain sports equipment are fragile and sensitive so they require more care. These include
- Golf sets
- Diving Equipment
- Ski equipment
- Cricket set
Hence you will be required to purchase a Sports equipment allowance if traveling by the above items as per Air Asia Baggage Policy. Any number of pieces is allowed provided each piece does not exceed 32 kg and their combined weight should not be greater than the prebooked rate or airport rate.
The airline also has a complimentary surfboard policy for passengers traveling on flights to/from Australia. They will accept one surfboard at check-in up to a maximum weight of 15 kg free of charge.
Prohibited items In Air Asia
What items are prohibited on baggage on Air Asia?
- Firearms, any guns, and weapons
- Explosives and flammable substances
- Chemical and toxic materials
- Live plants and flowers -you can arrange to transport plants as cargo
- Pointed or sharp objects
- Blunt instruments
What if your baggage is mishandled or lost?
- If your baggage is damaged during the journey then you have to approach the baggage office to report your damaged baggage.
- If your bag is over-packing and damaged due to unsuitable packaging then this will not cover in the compensation.
- Wear & tear of your accessories are not covered by the Air Asia
- The baggage department’s officer determines your complaints then after satisfying they forward your issue for compensation.
- If you accidentally left behind your items on the plane or misplaced your items then approach the lost property office. If any staff finds any item in the aircraft or at the airport then they hand it over to the lost property office at the airport.
- If your property or the item is lost or missing then you have to contact the missing department at the airport authority. If your baggage is not found within 7 days then your baggage is declared missing. In this case, you have to be ready with your documents like a Copy of your passport / ID, a Copy of your bank book/statement, and a SWIFT/BCB/IBN code (for the international transaction).
- Central Baggage Tracing Office staff contact you for further action and clear your compensation.
To conclude, hope this article helped you in understanding the Air Asia Baggage Policy better. Enjoy your trip.