Last Updated on April 16, 2021 by Editorial Team
American Airlines Baggage Policy Fees & Rules
American Airlines is the major US airline and the largest international airline, measured by the number of destinations served fleet size and revenue. American Airlines is headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area, in Fort Worth, Texas.
American airways with its local partner together operate almost 6800 flights of sizable global and domestic networks per day in more than 50 countries to nearly 350 locations.
If you come here for American Airlines reservation & booking, you can just visit our homepage or you can also dial-out toll-free number +1-800-831-1547 to get a solution to your problem. However, if you are interested in getting baggage policy information about American Airlines, read this article.
What is American Airlines Checked Bag Policy?
American Airlines’ baggage charges apply to everyone, and even if you receive an update that includes free checked baggage, you cannot refund it in any way. If you believe that you have been charged for your luggage in error, you can also request a refund within 45 days or contact a representative in the United States for help.
American Airlines Carry-On Allowance
In American Airlines, carry-on allowance baggage policy, 1 personal item, and 1 standard carry-on item is free. They also have this amazing American Airlines pet policy. American Airlines keeps up with Best USA Airlines For Cheap International Flights In Each US State.
Size restrictions in carry-on allowance:
- In personal, 45*35*20 centimeters or 18*14*8 inches are allowed.
- In Standard, 56*36*23 centimeters or 22*14*9 inches are allowed.
In American Airlines, up to 130 centimeters or 150 linear inches soft-sided garment bags are also accepted. American Airlines put their passengers always on the top and that’s why they have this awesome tendency or policy where you can make cancellation in an easy process, check out American Aierlines Cancellation policy to know more in detail and depth.
Lap-Little one carry-on policy:
In addition to an adult’s carry-on allowance, consistent with baby one diaper bag is also permitted.
Stroller Check Policy:
- 1 stroller or 1 car seat in American Airlines is free of cost allowed with each passenger.
- Strollers more than 9 kilograms or 20 pounds must be checked at the gate or ticket counter.
How many bags you can take.
- If your journey is Domestic, Transatlantic, and transpacific then you can check up to 10 bags.
- If you are traveling to/ from/ through South America, Brazil, and Mexico / Caribbean / Central America then you can check up to 5 bags.
Weight and size:
Checked bag allowance for all regions is:
- 158 centimeters or 62 inches dimensions are allowed.
- 23 kilograms or 50 lbs weight are allowed.
- For first and business class, 32 kilograms or 7 lbs weight are allowed.
Oversized and overweight bags:
- If the bag size is more than 320 centimeters or 120 inches then the bag is not allowed.
- If the bag weight is more than 45 kilograms or 100 lbs then the bag is not allowed.
- OneWorld Emerald members, First and Business, and Exclusive platinum can check bags up to 70 lbs / 32 kgs at no extra cost.
Seasonal Baggage restrictions and fees
First: 2-3 bags included; 3+ for purchase
Premium Economy: 2 bags included; 3+ for purchase
Business: 2 bags included; 3+ for purchase
Main Cabin: for purchase
The charge for the third bag is only in two-cabin aircraft there is no charge in three-cabin aircraft.
All the purchases as per the table below.
The main cabin checked baggage fees:
Baggage fees are based on destination and travel date. The details of all the checked fess are given below in the tabular form:
|Route||1st Bag||2nd Bag||3rd Bag||4th Bag|
|US Domestic(up to 10 bags)||$30||$40||$150||$200|
|Mexico(up to 5 bags)||$30||$40||$150||$200|
|Central America(up to 5 bags)-except for Panama||$30||$40/$55**||$150||$200|
|Caribbean (except Cuba and Haiti)(up to 5 bags)||$30||$40||$150||$200|
|South America– except for Colombia, Ecuador, and Guyana(up to 5 bags)||$45||$65||$150||$200***|
|Transatlantic(up to 10 bags)||$0/$60****||$100||$200||$200|
|Transpacific(up to 10 bags)||$0||$0||$200||$200|
*Free bag exclude fundamental economy: For the adventure to/from Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, a $30 1st bag price applies. A $45 1st bag price applies and a $ 65-2nd bag rate applies if you travel to/from South America.
**A $55 2d bag rate applies seasonally for the journey to/from Honduras.
***For travel to/from Brazil, a $ hundred 4th and 5th bag rate applies for tickets issued on/after November 5, 2019, and a $100 and fifty 4th and fifth bag rate applies for tickets issued on/in advance than November.
**** In Transatlantic Basic Economy tickets, a $60 1st bag price applies.
- $100 overweight fee for 233 to 32 kilograms or 51 to 71 pounds.
- $200 overweight fee for 32 to 45 kilograms or 7 to 100 pounds (not accepted to/from Europe or to/from Cuba)
Oversized fees apply when the baggage weight is more than 158 centimeters or 62 inches. The details for oversized with different regions are given below in the tabular form:
|Between the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Canada||$200|
|Mexico / Caribbean / Central and South America (except Panama)*||$200|
|South America and Panama||$150**|
|China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and Australia (transpacific)||$200|
*Some cities in Mexico, Caribbean, Central, and South America, Seasonal checked bag limitations are applied.
**For a tour to/from South America (besides Brazil) and Panama, $one hundred fifty oversize charges apply for tickets issued on/after November 5, 2019 and $2 hundred oversize prices apply for tickets issued on / earlier than November 4, 2019. Oversize rate to/from Brazil is $one hundred fifty for all ticket problem dates.
Excess Baggage Seasonal restrictions
Some select cities in Central and South America, Mexico and the Caribbean only two bags are permitted. American Airlines manage booking is also very helpful.
Excess Baggage Year-Round restrictions
Some select cities in Central and South America, Mexico and the Caribbean only two bags are permitted.
Many common items are restricted in American airlines by the Transportation Security Administration and Federal Aviation Administration. If you violate the law then you could pay a fine of $250,000 and up to 5 years imprisonment.
List of restricted items is given below:
- Alcoholic beverages under 70 percent like beer or wine are allowed but over 70 percent by volume is not allowed.
- Damaged batteries, automobiles, boats, or aircraft batteries are not allowed.
- Cutting instruments like metal knives or box cutters are only allowed in checked bags, not in carrying bags.
- Defense sprays aren’t allowed.
- Explosives like fireworks and gunpowder are not allowed.
- Flammable liquids or solids like fuel, paints are not allowed.
- Household items like bleach, solvents are not allowed.
- Lighter and matches are only allowed in carry-on bags, not in checked bags.
- Self-heating meals are not allowed.
Sports Equipment – American Airlines Baggage Policy
The maximum size is 320 centimeters or 126 inches and maximum weight is 32 kilograms or 70 lbs is allowed in sports equipment. If the bag contains the item other than the approved item then oversized and overweight charges may apply or it is also charged as a standard checked bag.
Special Items – American Airlines Baggage Policy
The maximum weight and size allowed for special items are 45 kilograms or 100lbs and 320 centimeters or 1120 inches. If the allowance is exceeded then contact a freight forwarder and overweight and oversized charges may apply. All bag fees are applied per person and nonrefundable.
American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
In case of having any query related to American Airlines baggage policy fees & rules, you must feel free to contact Treknova for more assistance. We are always available to answer your problems and questions 24*7 at our toll-free number +1-800-831-1547.