Lufthansa Baggage Policy Fees Rules & Restrictions
Lufthansa, flag carrier and the largest airline of Germany, operates its hub from Frankfurt Airport. It is the second largest airline in Europe and the airline slogan is “say yes to the world “. Here we will cover all about Lufthansa Baggage Policy.
Recipient of the ‘Best Airline in Europe’ award by Skytrax and other numerous accolades, Lufthansa Airlines aims to excel in providing new and efficient services for its customers.
In this article, we aim to give you an overview of the existing baggage policy of this airline.
If you come here for Lufthansa baggage policy fees and rules, continue reading. You can also dial our toll-free number +1-800-831-1547 to get last-minute unpublished deals and discount on flight ticket online booking.
- Lufthansa Baggage Policy Fees Rules & Restrictions
- Types of Baggages
- Frequent traveller
- Senators or StarAlliance gold members
- What is the Economy Light fare option offered by Lufthansa Airline?
- What is excess baggage?
- Musical instruments
- Sports Luggage
- Dangerous goods
- Traveling with animals
- Baggage Services
General Baggage rules – Lufthansa Baggage Policy
Want to know if the baggage size limit as per the airline standards? The maximum size for each bag is 158cm. If your baggage exceeds this limit, then rates may be applied as specified by the airline standards .
Don’t forget to attach your name and mobile number on the bag tag or stickers. This could be helpful if the baggage goes missing or so on.
Like most other airlines, each baggage should not weigh more than 32kg or they might be sent as cargo.
Types of Baggages
The baggage allowance will be shown on your purchased air ticket receipt depending on the travel class and fare.
For international flights
Carry-on Baggage /hand luggage or cabin baggage
- Economy Class – passengers travelling in economy class can carry one free handbag up to 8kg
- Premium Economy Class – one piece with maximum weight up to 8kg
- Business Class and First Class-2 bags weighing up to 8kg each
With regards to the ongoing Covid19 pandemic, the airline insists that you bring one carry-on luggage only with you.
- Economy class – passengers can carry one free bag weighing maximum up to 23kg
- Premium Economy class- 2 pieces of free baggage (23kg each)
- Business Class – 2 items of free baggage (32kg each)
- First Class – you can carry up to 3 bags for free, maximum weight 32kg each.
Status of customer– The baggage allowance also varies as per customer status such as Frequent Travellers, swiss golf traveller members, and also Senators/hon circle members, and so on.
- Economy class – for frequent traveller status, you are allowed 2 bags each up to 23kg.
- Premium economy class – same 2 bags allowed up to 23 kg each
- Business class -passenger allowed 2 suitcases each up to 32kg
- First class -3 bags up to 32kg each
Senators or StarAlliance gold members
- Economy class – you will be allowed 2 bags each up to 23kg.
- Premium economy class – 3bags (23kg each)
- Business class – 3 bags (32kg each)
- First class – 4 bags each maximum weight 32kg
What is the Economy Light fare option offered by Lufthansa Airline?
Well, If you are a traveller with less baggage or like if you only have one hand luggage to travel with, then the Economy Light Fare option provided by this airline at a reasonable price could be your choice. You will be permitted to carry one piece of carry-on baggage with a maximum weight of up to 8kg.
What is excess baggage?
In Business class, if the total dimensions of the baggage is more than 158cm to 292 cm then it would be treated as excess baggage.
In economy class, the allowed weight limit is 23kg to 32kg and the size limit is 158 cm.
For Excess baggage rates, you can visit the airline’s official website.
- The airline allows you to take musical instruments with you.
- You can carry them with you as carry-on luggage or as checked baggage as long as they don’t exceed dimensions of 55x40x23 cm and weigh no more than 8kg. Also in certain situations, you can take larger instruments provided they fit into the overhead locker above the seat but the airline does not guarantee this.
- If the instrument exceeds the dimension, then you will be required to purchase an additional seat which must be done at the time of your booking. You can manage booking with Lufthansa as well.
As a matter of fact, you can also carry your sports equipment with you during your journey free of charge as long as the weight and number of items do not exceed the free baggage allowance specified for your class of travel.
As a matter of fact, the maximum length and weight is 315cm and 32kg respectively. If it exceeds that, you can send them as cargo. However, if it exceeds the baggage allowance of your travel class only and does not weigh more than 32kg, then you check out the flat charges for sports baggage which is available on their official website.
Also, it is advisable to make a reservation for your sports luggage 24hours prior to departure.
They have divided the sports baggage into two types: standard and bulky ones
Standard sports equipment refers to
- Winter sports
- Diving gear
Examples of Bulky sports equipment include Hangglider, longboards, and so on.
Some of the dangerous goods which are prohibited are below
- Corrosive materials like acids, wet cell batteries
- Self-defense sprays
- Varnish, paint, cleaning agents
- Heat generating objects
- Electric bicycles or battery-powered transportation
- Strong magnetic materials
Lithium-ion spare batteries and e-cigarettes can be allowed in cabin baggage under certain conditions only.
This is only for general information, please recheck or visit their website for more information.
Traveling with animals
Interestingly, some pets are allowed to travel with you in the cabin like small cats and dogs whose weight does not exceed 8kg including the weight of the container. Normally pets also can fly as checked baggage or manifest cargo.
The minimum age of the pet is 16 weeks for those travelling from/to the USA and 12 weeks elsewhere.
You will need an approved airline pet carrier of the dimensions 55cmx40cmx23cm.
You will have to fill in a form for transporting animals and present the signed form to the airline check-in counter.
You won’t be able to make reservations for your pet online.
2 dogs or cats are permitted for cabin or checked baggage.
There must be enough space in the pet container for your pet to stand up and turn around.
Also, it is good to be aware of the baggage rules related to delayed or damaged ones
In case of any damaged luggage or if you find your bag missing or delayed, the matter should be reported immediately to the airline’s local baggage tracing desk or at the Lufthansa counter at the airport. A reference number or PIR number will be given to you which should be kept safe.
In case you notice your baggage damaged later, that is, after you leave the airport, then you must report it within at least 7 days after your flight. But you might have to provide proof that your luggage was damaged during your flight journey
Keep all documents like the bag claim tag and the boarding pass safe with you in case you require them.
You can also search for your bag online for which you have to provide your PIR number using the WorldTracer application from the airline website
In exceptional cases where you don’t get your baggage within 5 days, they will contact you by phone for the list of contents in your missing luggage so that they can carry out an intensive search of your items.
Digital baggage services
The airline also offers a mobile app to locate your baggage throughout your journey .You will get a link on your mobile boarding pass with which you can trace the exact location of your suitcase
You can also use the Home tag service which saves you time, you don’t have to wait in the queues to drop your baggage. This facility is for specific routes.
- Firstly visit the official website lufthansa.com
- Secondly, try to Check-in online from the site.
- Choose or select the seat
- Now enter the number of bags with you
- Take a printout of the boarding pass as well as the hometag
- Attach the hometag to your luggage. There you go!
You can also use the self-service bag drop kiosks which are available at specific airports.
If you have more queries for Lufthansa Baggage Policy, you can visit their official website or you can just visit our homepage too and you can also dial our toll-free number +1-800-831-1547 to get more information about latest offers and discounts. Credits: https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/baggage-overview