Last Updated on April 7, 2021 by Editorial Team
Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy Fees & Rules
Southwest Airlines is the biggest low-priced carrier in the world and a main American airline headquartered is in Dallas, Texas. The airline turned into mounted via Herb Kelleher as Air Southwest Co. On 15 March 1967. The airline operates four thousand departures in line at some point in the peak journey season.
It consists of the maximum number of domestic passengers. Southwest Airline’s catalog a hundred and one locations flights inside the United States and 10 additional nations or within 40 States.
If you come here for Southwest Airlines reservation & booking, you can just visit our homepage or you can also dial-out toll-free number +1-800-831-1547 to get a solution to your problem. However, if you are interested in getting baggage policy information about Southwest Airlines, read this article.
Southwest Airlines Checked Baggage Policy
For checked bag policy maximum weight allowed are 23 kilograms or 50 pounds and maximum linear dimensions are 9158 centimeters or 62 inches. The only airline that provides two free checked bags is Southwest Airlines and third plus bags $75 will be charged.
Southwest Airlines baggage policy includes the following:
- 1 personal item – Fee free
- 1 carry-on item – Fee free
- Checked baggage – Applicable costs according to bag.
- Overweight and Oversized bags – Applicable costs according to bag depending on weight and size.
- Sports equipment – Certain items may have relevant charges.
- Carry-On Baggage
Southwest Airlines Carry-On Baggage policy
It allows 1 personal item like a purse, laptop bag and briefcase and only 1 carry-on bag fee is free for each passenger.
Following size and weight, the restriction should not be exceeded in carry-on baggage:
- Including handles and wheels, the bag should be within 127 centimeters or 50 linear inches
- Fit below the seat in front of you or within the overhead bin.
Lap-Little one carry-on policy:
In addition to an adult’s carry-on allowance, no carry-on item is permitted.
Stroller Check Policy:
Strollers and car seat is allowed in southwest airlines to be checked at gate or ticket counter.
Southwest Airlines hold luggage policy
The details of hold luggage policy of Southwest Airlines are the following:
- 23 kilograms or 50 pounds maximum weight is allowed.
- 157 centimeters or 62 inches are maximum dimensions allowed.
- Maximum bags allowed is 2 bags standard up to 10 bags.
Southwest Airlines Baggage fees
Details of southwest airlines baggage fees are given below in the tabular form:
|Baggage Category||Max Size(L+B+H)||Max Weight||Fee|
|First checked bag||62 inches||50 lb||$0|
|Second checked bag||62 inches||50 lb||$0|
|Third+ checked bags||62 inches||50 lb||$75|
|Overweight bags||62 inches||51 to 99 lb||+$75|
|Oversized bags||63 to 80 inches||50 lb||+$75|
Sports Equipment Fees in Southwest Airlines baggage policy
Southwest Airlines will be accepted sports equipment with size and weight limits like golf bags, skis, hockey, lacrosse equipment, and fishing equipment and count as one checked bags and associated fees will be applied. You must always know about the airlines cancellation policy before booking a flight ticket with any particular airline because these policies are something that can give you huge benefit in times if you know how to use them and what are your rights over the canceled tickets.
Southwest Musical Instrument
Musical instruments are also permitted in Southwest airlines if they fit under the seat or within the overhead. If you want to take a larger instrument with you then you have to purchase a seat for it.
Bringing Pets on Board in Southwest airlines
Southwest airlines allowed to be carried small domestic cats and dogs into the cabin, not more than 8.5 inches high * 18.5 inches long * 133.5 inches wide or 21.59*46.99*34.99 centimeters. For each pet carrier $95 will be charged for one way.
Southwest Airlines Late check-in Policy
Allow sufficient time for it to be placed on your flight when checking baggage. Before less than 45 minutes baggage checked at the ticket counter scheduled departure will be tagged with a Late Check-In tag.
Southwest Airlines claim policy
The customer must be reported for the lost and damaged bag within four hours of arrival at the destination.
Restricted and Non-restricted Items
Many common items are restricted in Southwest airlines by the Transportation Security Administration and Federal Aviation Administration. List of restricted items is given below:
- Alcoholic Beverages are allowed in both checked bags and carry-on bags but with some restrictions. In carry-on bags, you can only take 100 ml of alcohol is allowed.
- Alcoholic beverages of more than 70 percent of alcohol are not allowed.
- Antlers are allowed in southwest airlines but it must be fittable under the seat and in the overhead locker.
- Artificial skeleton bones are allowed in both carry-on and checked bags.
- Axes and Hatches are only allowed in Checked bags not allowed in carry-on bags.
- Arc lighters, electronic lighters, e-lighters are not allowed in southwest airlines.
- An airbrush makeup machine is allowed in southwest airlines.
- A baby carrier is allowed in both carry-on bags and checked bags.
- Basketballs, baseballs, soccer balls are also allowed in both checked bags and carry-on bags.
- Sharp objects like box cutters, corkscrews with a blade, darts, kirpans, ice packs, and soo on are not allowed in carry-on bags but allowed in checked bags.
- Know more about when is the right time to book a southwest airlines it will help you in getting tickets at the right time when there is more availability and less amount to pay.
Exclusions and Waivers
Free 3+bags with no charge for overweight and oversized bags for Military traveling on duty or for changing your station permanently.
In substitution with one of the free bags some sporting items are also free with maximum weight and size of 50 pounds or 60 inches. In the maximum weight and size of the items will increase then overweight and oversized charges may apply.
List of Special sporting items are given below:
- Bowing bag
- Softball/ baseball equipment
- Archery equipment
- Scuba equipment
- Air tanks must be empty
- Water ski equipment
- Excess weight and size charges may apply.
Checked Bag in Southwest Airlines with Credit Cards
If you have credit cards, and you want to have checked bag fee waives then you have four credit card options in Southwest Airlines. Details of credit card options are given in the tabular form:
- Unlike Spirit Airlines, Southwest has a beneficial checked bag policy that allows two luggage consistent with the person. If you take a huge ride and want additional checked luggage, you could use one of the cards underneath to offset the cost.
- Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card: This no annual price card comes with a 20,000-mile welcome bonus (worth $200) when you spend $1,000 inside the first 3 months. When you operate your card for tour purchases (e.G. bags fees), use your miles to repay all, or component of, your statement! This is why we adore this card.
- Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card: With a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500), it is a “large brother” card to the VentureOne® while you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months.
P.O. Box 36647-1CR
Dallas, Texas 75235
In case of having any query related to Southwest Airlines baggage policy fees & rules, you must feel free to contact Treknova for more assistance. We are always available to answer your problems and questions 24*7 at our toll-free number +1-800-831-1547. Or you can buy their services directly from us, simply go to our homepage treknova.com.