United Airlines is the main American Airline and its headquarter is situated in Willis Tower, Chicago, Illinois. Inside the world, United Airlines is the third largest Airways. United Express operated the regional services by independent carriers. United is the biggest hub in terms of many departures with the other 8 hubs and the whole wide variety of passengers for United.
However, if you are interested in getting United Airlines baggage fees, rules & restrictions information about United Airlines, read this article. Know how much does it cost to check a bag & baggage weight limit for international flights?
Highlights: United Airlines Baggage Policy
United baggage policy includes the following for the regular basic fares:
- 1 personal item – Free
- 1 carry-on item – Free
- Checked baggage – Applicable costs according to bag.
- Overweight and Oversized bags – Applicable costs according to bag depending on weight and size.
- Sports equipment – Certain items may have relevant charges.
- Carry-On Baggage
- Excess Baggage Restrictions
What is United Airlines Carry-On Baggage Policy?
It allows 1 personal item like a purse, laptop bag, and briefcase and only 1 carry-on bag fee is free for each passenger.
Following size and weight, the restriction should not be exceeded in carry-on baggage:
- Including handles and wheels, the bag should be within 115 centimeters or 45 linear inches
- Fit below the seat in front of you or within the overhead bin.
Following size and weight, the restriction should not be exceeded in a personal item:
- The item should be within 89 centimeters or 36 linear inches.
- Fit below the seat in front of you or within the overhead bin.
- Assistive gadgets like wheelchairs, crutches, strollers, and so on, and other items like umbrellas, diaper bags, jackets, and duty-free items are not counted in the carry-on baggage allowance.
- The item should be in the proper size and fittable in space.
You must remove the lithium batteries installed in any checked luggage or carry-on bag. After unloading, you can take these batteries with you. Your personal belongings should be placed under the seat in front of you. The maximum size of your personal items is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm). If you bring large carry-on luggage to the boarding gate, you need to check your luggage weight. You must also pay the applicable checked baggage in air travel fee and a US$25 boarding gate fee. You must know United Airlines Boarding Groups and Boarding Procedure. To make the operation easier, you need to pay by credit card.
United Airlines hold luggage policy
The details of the hold bag policy of United Airlines are the following:
- 23 kilograms or 50 pounds maximum weight is allowed.
- 157 centimeters or 62 inches are maximum dimensions allowed.
- 2 bags are allowed with standard fees for Economy class fares.
Fees for Baggage in United Airlines
They are decided with the aid of the sort of fare you purchased, your destination, in case you are an active US military personnel and/or dependent, when you have popularity with United Airlines (UA) common flyer program, reputation with an affiliated carrier, or when you have a United Airlines (UA) backed credit/fee card.
For US domestic flights, standard checked baggage charges:
- $35.00 USD for First Bag.
- $45.00 USD for Second Bag.
- $150 USD per bag for third and more additional bags.
For US International flight, standard checked baggage fees:
United Airlines (UA) trendy checked baggage / maintain luggage fees for to/from U S worldwide flights commonly are nothing for the first and $100.00 USD for the second. International Basic Economy checked baggage / maintain luggage costs are $60 USD for the primary bag and $100 USD for the second. Some routes allow checked baggage as trendy. You can visit United.com for United Airlines (UA) “Baggage Calculator”. It will help you determine the exact amount.
Fees for Excess Baggage
For the third and additional bags, United Airlines (UA) will charge a range starting at $150 USD depending on the route. You can visit United.com for United Airlines (UA) “Baggage Calculator”. It will help you determine the exact amount.
Fee for overweight baggage
United Airlines will charge for overweight bags when the bag weight is greater than 23 kilograms or 50 pounds on U.S United Airlines Domestic First Class flights. The details are given below:
- $100 USD to $200 USD extra per bag if the bag weight is between 24 to 32 kilograms or 51 to 70 pounds.
- $400 USD extra per bag if the bag weight is between 33 to 46 kilograms or 71 to 100 pounds.
- Bags having a weight of more than 46 kilograms or 100 pounds will not be accepted.
- $200 to $400 USD fees for the flights from/to the US range.
- You can visit the website for United Airlines (UA) “Baggage Calculator”. It will help you determine the exact amount.
Fee for oversized baggage
United Airlines will charge $200.00 USD extra for the oversized bags when the bag size is greater from 160 to 292 centimeters or 63 to 115 linear inches on US domestic flights. Bags more than this size will not be accepted.
Fees for sports equipment
Fees rely on the form of sports devices. Skis, golf bags, fishing equipment, hockey, and lacrosse system are normally taken into consideration as one item. Fees are charged starting at $30 USD. Fees for larger carrying systems start at $150 USD.
Exclusion and Waivers
For exclusion and waivers, You can visit the official website for United Airlines (UA) “Baggage Calculator”. It will help you determine the exact amount.
The same weight is also permitted for the premium members for their free extra baggage(332 kilograms or 70 pounds per bag). We also have a United Airlines Premier Access Benefits Guide. You should read this for your own convenience.
Details of exclusion and waivers and free weight allowance for Mileage Plus members are given in the tabular form:
|Cabin and route||Premier silver||Premier gold||Premier Platinum||Premier 1k|
|Economy travel between the U.S and: Continental U.SAlaskaHawaiiCanadaMexicoCaribbeanCentral America||1 bag *70 lb||2 bags * 70 lb||3 bags * 70 lb||3 bags * 70 lb|
|All other Economy travel including Intra-Asia and Micronesia:||1 bag8 70 lb (in addition to standard allowance)|
|United Business, United First, and United Polaris||3 bags * 70 lb|
|Economy travel between the U.S and: South AmericaAsiaAustraliaNew ZealandEuropeMiddle EastAfrica||2 bags* 70 lb||3 bags * 70 lb|
Regardless of the premium status, free baggage exceptions also apply to the following flights:
- 2 bags*50 lbs for to/from San Salvador.
- 2 bags * 70 lbs for to/from Tegucigalpa, Santo Domingo, Managua, San Pedro Sula.
- 2 bags * 70 lbs for to/from Guatemala city.
- 2 bags * 70 lbs for to/from Havana.
Star Alliance Gold Members:
- 1 checked bag free up to 50 lb on Domestic Flights.
- 2 to 3 checked bags up to 50 lb on International Flights.
The active US military Personnel:
- 3 checked bags free up to 70 lb, 62 linear inches in personal travel.
- 5 checked bags free up to 70 lb, 100 inches in Official Business.
Checked Bag in United Airlines with Credit Cards
If you have a credit card and want to waive checked baggage fees, then United Airlines has four credit card options. Depending on where and how you travel, you may have to pay to check in your luggage. Before you travel, use the tools below to find out how much it costs, and check the details on this page to understand the desired result. The details of the credit card options are given in table form:
|United Explorer card||One checked bag is free.|
|Chase United MileagePlus Club card||first and second checked bags are free.|
|United Explorer Business card||One checked bag is free.|
|Chase United MileagePlus club business card||The first and second checked bags are free.|
A piece of standard checked baggage can measure up to 62 inches (length + width + height) outside. This includes handles and wheels. The maximum weight of checked baggage depends on your cabin and VIP status at the time of United Airlines check-in. If the maximum size or weight varies depending on your cabin and MileagePlus status, we will apply a larger limit. Make your reservation with the largest airline industry in the USA, they provide the best in class features.
United Airlines have a simple tool where you can calculate the cost of your baggage beforehand so that it will be easier for you to calculate all the baggage fees. Click here for the form:
- Sign -in first to get access to the form.
- Then a section will appear where you have to put your departure and arrival city.
- Then you also have to put in the weight of your luggage.
- It will automatically calculate the price and will show you how much will it cost you.
Many common items are restricted in American airlines by the Transportation Security Administration and Federal Aviation Administration. If you violate the law then you could pay a fine of $250,000 and up to 5 years imprisonment.
A list of restricted items is given below:
- Alcoholic beverages under 70 percent like beer or wine are allowed but over 70 percent by volume is not allowed.
- Damaged batteries, automobiles, boats, or aircraft batteries are not allowed.
- Cutting instruments like metal knives or box cutters are only allowed in checked bags, not in carrying bags.
- Defense sprays aren’t allowed.
- Explosives like fireworks and gunpowder are not allowed.
- Flammable liquids or solids like fuel, and paints are not allowed.
- Household items like bleach, and solvents are not allowed.
- Lighter and matches are only allowed in carry-on size bags, not in checked bags.
- Self-heating meals are not allowed.
Remember the Following While Checking-in
Make sure to check your luggage on time: Know the latest time you can check your luggage at the departure airport. If you do not comply with the above regulations, we will not be able to inspect your luggage.
Keep your claim check: You will receive a claim check for each checked baggage. Treat them as receipts and keep them until you collect all your checked baggage to your final destination.
Check out your transfer process: We check the baggage between the origin and destination listed on the ticket. For more information, please visit the connecting flight section below.
What if I carry a High-value item and perishable items?
Anyone can carry a high-value and perishable item with them but you have to keep them in a carry-on bag or personal item instead of a checked bag. If anyone carries these items in a checked bag then United Airlines is not liable to pay the loss if they are damaged.
Some examples of High value, Fragile and Perishable items
Chinaware, Glass, Pottery, Electronics items, Laptops, Eyeware, Jewellery, etc.
In case nothing works out for you and now you are left with no option other than canceling the entire ticket then you should read our United Airlines cancellation and Refund Policy.
If you have any complaints you can write your complaint or query on the contacts of United Airlines or you can just visit our homepage too and you can also dial our toll-free number 1-855-653-5006 to get a solution.