If you have made a ticket through Delta Airlines but have some issues? If you want to cancel your ticket with Delta Airlines? If you want to know about the Delta Airlines Cancellation and Refund policies and the procedure to cancel and ask for a refund, you’ve come to the right place.
We know that reserving, managing pre-booked flights, and canceling can be difficult tasks even on a normal day. But now, amidst this unfortunate and chronic pandemic, knowing policies for canceling a flight has become important because who knows when you would want to cancel your booking for a particular airline, right? Here is everything about Delta Air Lines cancellation and refund policy that you need to know before making any sort of cancellation or refund request.
In case you have any query or complaint you can contact us directly on +1-800-831-1547 (available 24×7) or visit us on www.treknova.com. Our executives are professionals who will be happy to help you. If you still have more issues related to Cancellation, you can talk to a live person at Delta Air lines customer service.
During these unfortunate times, Delta Airlines is trying to simplify their customer’s travel experience by providing more control and flexibility. Delta Airlines has made it easier to make changes to your bookings by waving off the change fees.
The change fees continue to be waived off for flights originating from North America. It doesn’t matter if you have a Maine cabin ticket for hire, you will still be eligible for a waiver.
In the case of travel which originates outside of North America, a waiver on change fees is still applicable, But the basic economy tickets are not subjected to a change or cancellation until and unless the ticket purchased comes under the basic economy waiver category.
Now that the change fees are canceled you can cancel or change your flight bookings for no change charge, for any domestic or specific international flights.
- There will be no change fees applicable on Delta tickets if you are travelling within the US, Puerto Rico, and USVI
- There will be no change fee applicable on Delta tickets if the flight that your book will originate from North America and will travel to anywhere in the world. (This includes the flight which are operated by joint venture and code share partners)
- No change fees applicable if you are travelling in between US, Mexico and the Caribbean
- Basic economy fares will be excluded
Waivers for Award Tickets:
- Skymiles members will also be able to Change their plans anytime if they’re travelling on an award ticket.
- The changes that are applicable immediately for an award tickets used to travel from North America to anywhere in the world (Which excludes basic economy tickets) are:
- The Re-deposit and re-issue fees for award tickets have been completely waived off
- Award tickets can be cancelled or changed by the holder before the departure.
Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy
Your plans might change anytime and know how to cancel a flight and going through its cancellation and refund policy is a must. Thus to provide aid to our customers Delta Airlines has eliminated the change fees For the flights originating from North America, flying to anywhere in the world (this excludes basic economic fares). There are no change fees applicable on a ticket purchased before the 31st of April 2021.
It is very easy to make changes, cancel the flight, or request a refund online before departure. The tickets which were not subjected to cancellation or change prior to departure cannot be used after that, since they will have no remaining value.
You also need to keep in mind that the basic economy ticket can not be canceled or changed Until and unless the ticket comes under the basic economy waiver category.
There are few basic economy tickets Originating from regions like Europe & Africa which might be applicable to change for a fee.
The 24-Hour Risk-Free Cancellation Policy of Delta Airlines
For customers who book directly from delta.com or the Fly Delta app, risk-Free Cancellation is applicable. This means that after you book an eligible eTicket, you get an opportunity to cancel it within 24-hours for any reason and receive a full refund with no cancellation fees.
24-Hour Risk Free Cancellation Process
If you’ve booked your trip from delta.com or the fly delta app, but now want to cancel your ticket, you are eligible to do so but you need to first follow these steps:
- Log In your account and click on “My Trips” to find your trip
- Select the booking you want to cancel
- Click on the “Cancel Flight” option and follow the necessary steps
- Finally, you will receive a full refund, which will be automatically issued to your original account
The refund of your ticket when canceled will be done within 24 hours of purchase.
Understanding the canceling, refunding & changing policy (and the fees charged)
Now let’s try to understand the cost which will be incurred on a ticket when we try to cancel, change or refund our ticket. This also mainly depends on what kind of ticket we hold. In case you have a non-refundable ticket, it will be shown that it is “Non-Refundable” Next to the Cabin name in My trips. And if it is not showing anything then your ticket might be refundable (FLEX ticket). You also need to keep in mind that the basic economy ticket is non-refundable and non-changeable.
Cancellation & Refund Policy Guidelines
These are the policies for cancellation and refund of tickets provided by Delta Airlines
- When your ticket comes under the 24-hour window of risk free cancellation period then no cancellation charge will be applicable for any kind of ticket including basic economic tickets, non-refundable tickets, refundable/ FLEX tickets.
- If you have cross the 24-hour window of risk free cancellation period then cancelation is not permitted for a basic economic fare ticket. Secondly, For a non refundable ticket, the final value of the ticket would be the remaining value minus $0-500 cancellation fee. A full refund is applicable for a refundable / FLEX ticket
- If you want to to cancel your flight ticket within 24-hours of flight departure. Cancelation is not permitted for a basic economic fare ticket. For a non refundable ticket, the final value of the ticket would be the remaining value minus $0-500 cancellation fee. A full refund is applicable for a refundable / FLEX ticket
Change Policy Guidelines
These are the Policies for or a ticket change provided by Delta Airlines
- When your ticket comes under the 24-hour window of risk free cancellation period a fare difference will be incurred on all basic economy tickets, Non refundable tickets, Refundable / FLEX tickets.
- If you have crossed the 24 hour window of risk free cancellation period then a change on basic economic fare is not permitted. Also, $0-500 Change fees + fare difference will be charged for non-refundable ticket. A fare difference will be charged for refundable / FLEX ticket.
- If you want to change your flight ticket within 24-hours of flight departure then a change on basic economic fare is not permitted. A fees of $75 will be e charged when available for non-refundable ticket and a fees of $75 will be e charged when available for refundable / FLEX ticket
How to Cancel a Non-Refundable Ticket ?
As we discussed above, if you want to cancel a non-refundable ticket then a cancellation fee will be deducted from the original cost of the ticket. The remaining value will be re-credited in the form of e-credit that can be then used for the purchase of another ticket. Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed/canceled unless it comes under the COVID-19 travel waivers or the 2021 Basic Economy Changeability Waiver.
The process to cancel Non-Refundable tickets:
- You need to make sure that you are cancelling your ticket before the departure. There won’t be any value remaining for the ticket cancelled after the departure.
- Now you need to Log In and then go to My Trips
- Here, select the ticket/trip you want to cancel
- Click on the “Cancel Flight” button and follow the remaining steps
No Cancellation Fee Policy
There is no cancellation fee applies for these given tickets
- Delta tickets allowing travel within the U.S., Puerto Rico and USVI (Booked after 31/8/2020)
- Delta tickets allowing travel originating from North America and flying to rest of the world (including flights operated by joint venture and codeshare partners) (Booked after 9/12/2020)
- Delta tickets allowing travel in between the Caribbean and the U.S. or Mexico
If not included in the “No Cancellation Fees policy” above, then your ticket’s cancellation fees start from $200. You will get the remaining value of your ticket in the form of e-credit, an expiry of which will depend on the terms and regulations of your original ticket. Read more about how to avoid airline Change & Cancelation fees here.
How to cancel a Refundable Ticket ?
As we know that your plans can change at any moment and if you have a refundable ticket then you can apply for a refund. But in this case, you have to make sure that you are canceling or changing your booking prior to the flight departure.
The process to Cancel a Refundable Ticket:
- First of all you need to ensure that you are cancelling or changing your booking prior to the departure.
- Then you have to to find Your Trip by Logging In and going to My Trips
- Next you need to select the flight you want to cancel
- Now here click on “Modify Flight”
- Click on “Start Flight Cancellation”
- And thus, cancel your trip by confirming it
Delta Airlines Refund Policy
When booking a Delta flight ticket you must always be aware of whether your ticket is Refundable or Non-Refundable. After which you can move forward with the Delta refund process for your canceled flight ticket.
So if your ticket is non-refundable then the Delta Airlines cancellation fees of your ticket will be deducted and the rest of the value will be credited to you in the form of the e-credit to your registered Delta Airlines account. This you can use at the time of rebooking or for any new booking with Delta Airlines in the future. We have discussed the main refund policies above in the cancelation section.
How to Apply for a refund?
There will always be a reason to cancel your flight and in this case, you should know how to claim a refund on flight cancellation. Below we will discuss the process to refund a ticket of Delta Airlines.
Refund for a Refundable Ticket
If you want to apply for a refund for a refundable ticket, the process is easy but you need to keep in mind these three things
- Fill the request refund form to request a refund
- Make sure you have a refundable ticket, purchased either with a credit card or cash or check.
- The refund will be re-credited to your original account
Refund for Unused Trip Purchases
On unused trip purchases, such as Sky Priority® boarding, a Wi-Fi pass, in order to get a refund, you need to fill a form to request a refund. We also need to know that not all amenities are refundable.
Check out our article on how to get a refund if you’re too sick to fly.
Check out our article if you’re wondering how long it could take to receive the refund. In general, it should take around 24 hours to receive the refund but in such unprecedented times, during a pandemic, the time frame of “how long?” is debatable.
How to Check Your Refund Status?
If you have submitted the request for a refund for a future trip, and you want to check the status for the refund follow the below-given steps:
- Go to the Check refund status page
- Put in the necessary details and Click “submit”
In case you have any query or complaint you can contact us directly on +1-800-831-1547 (available 24×7) or visit us on www.treknova.com. Our executives are professionals who will be happy to help you.