In this world, many people find love and affection towards animals and get their own pets in their house. But the problem comes when you have to leave the country for work and you can not leave your pet as alone at home. Thus many airlines had given solutions to this and permitted to take your pet along with you where ever you go.
In the same way, this Europen based airline, Alitalia has also permitted to take your pet along with you, under some standard reules from Alitalia pet policy to make your pet flight journey safer and comfortable. These standard instructions are important to follow for pets well being as well as for your co-passengers.
Under Alitalia pet policy, they allow your pets either in-cabin or as in cargo luggage. Its been decided by the size and weight of the container and the pet individually s well as together. Pet passengers and pets have to co-operate with the Alitalia ground staff at the airport for check-in.
- You have to put your pet in pet carriage when you will make them fly in the cargo of aircraft. So make them used to these pen carriage or cage before 5 days of their flight.
- You should remember that your pet age which you take along with you in flight, must be of a minimum of 3 months or elder. Younger than this, will not get permitted to fly.
- Before take-off, offer your pet to drink water in small quantities, but frequently.
- If you are feeding your pet an animal food, then make it sure that you do it at least 4 hours before the departure time of the flight. It should be good enough so that pets did not feel hungry throughout the whole journey.
- If your pet is taking tranquilizers, then consult with your pet vet, about its effect on them in flight.
- The container in which your pet will be traveling must be comfortable enough according to the size of the pet.
- The bottom of the container must be fixed with some absorbent material like paper or blanket, but straws are prohibited.
- Pet when locked inside, it must not be trapped up with leash or muzzle, and even do not keep these inside the carrier, as a pet may self-harm with these advisories.
- If your pet is suffering from some illness or gets injured on the day of departure, then according to Alitalia pet policy, a pet with these conditions will not be allowed to travel in the flight.
- Keep one food container like a bowl in the pet cage, which is easily possible for the staff without opening the gate of the carriage.
Just be clear that whether if you cleared the check-in point to fly your pet, but in-cabin, condition of the pet does seem good and it is quite disturbing for other co-passengers, then captain of the aircraft, can shift the pet from passenger cabin to cargo department of the same aircraft.
If you do not want to face any obstacle during the flight journey, then plan your trip with your pet by consulting or getting suggested by the Ministry of Health of the country you live, by visiting their official site.
Charges Applicable For Pet Transportation
The following table shows the applicable charges to the transportation of pets:
|Cabin In Pets
(Up to 10 Kg including carrier & food)
(Up to 75 Kg including carrier & food)
|European Flight & To/From North Africa
|80 EUR/95 USD
|90 EUR/105 USD
|To/From rest of the World
|190 EUR/225 USD
|200 EUR/235 USD
|From USA & Mexico to rest of the world
|From the rest of the world to The USA & Mexico
|225 EUR/225 USD
|235 EUR/235 USD
|From Canada to Europe, East Europe, & Japan
|From Europe, East Europe, Japan, Korea, & China to Canada
|From Canada to the Middle East
|From the Middle East to North Africa/West Africa to Canada
Note: The charges may vary based on the time of service purchased.
Pets when traveling in-cabin, there are some steps or instructions which you have to maintain before, during, or after the flight.
- You have to keep your pet inside the pet cage from the starting boarding time until you get off the to the arrival airport and in meant while also in the entire flight journey.
- The cage should be harmless, as the inner or outer corners of the carriage must be soft and made up of hard rigid material to carry your pet safely.
- In the cabin you have to place it underneath the seat in front of your eyes, so keep in mind that the edges of the container must be soft enough to adjust.
- So Alitalia flight when allowing your pet along with the pet carriage, its weight must not be more than 8 kg total together.
- Dimensions of your pet carriage when you are taking your pet along with you in-cabin are like 24 cm in height + 40 cm in length + 20 cm in width.
- If your pet carrier is a soft bag type, then the height mentioned above can be compromised by 2 or 4 cm. Though other measurements must be standard as above, otherwise, airlines can refuse to take your pet’s boarding due to improper pet carrier dimensions.
- Your pet carrier must be large enough for your pet size so that they can naturally, stand straight or take around or to lie down or sit comfortably.
- Make it clear that your pet carrier is well ventilated from every side of the carrier and even water or leakproof.
- Check it thoroughly that it should not be a tear or broken from anywhere before you board so that your pet can not escape from the carriage by any mistake.
NOTE: you can get multiple pets of the same species in the same carriage, but it is a maximum up to 5 pets. The condition is that the weight of the numerous pets along with pet carriage and food containers must be not exceeding 8 kgs to 10 kgs.
Pets in cargo
When you have to send your pet to the cargo department as a hold, then it’s obvious that your pet size is quite big or your pet fails to match the standards for traveling in-cabin. Thus instructions for cargo are not such strict, it just some, that you must follow.
- You should keep and send your pet in a strong rigid container, which is not easy to break by your pet and escape.
- To send your pet in cargo, your pet’s weight along with the container must not be more than 75 kgs.
- The material of the container must be strong hard plastic or fiberglass, which are quite long life and not even reactive to moisture.
- For your convenience, you placed a wheel around the pet container, but it should be removed. At the time of submitting your pet to the cargo service of the AIrline, you have to detach them so that your carriage gets secure in one place only.
- The door of the cage in which the pet has to be locked must be of metal and should have a strong locking system from the top, bottom, and middle parts of the door and make your pet secure inside the carriage.
- The side handle of the pet carriage which are been used to pull and take the carriage must be made of metal rather than plastic.
You will be looking for the measurements of the container when you are sending your pet carriage in the cargo. Then we get to know you that, measurements of the pet container for the cargo hold, totally varies with the aircraft your pet carriage is about to fly in. So make your pet cage by getting information about the same by calling their Customer Support team.
As you know Alitalia is basically a European airline, thus when flying within Europe with a pet, then pet species like dogs, cats, and ferrets are permitted to fly over the flights of Alitalia airline.
NOTE: European flight also allows Rabbits AND Hamsters on their flights, thus Alitalia also accept them as a pet in flight.
So below are some instructions you have to follow to fly on home continent only:
- Need a pet passport with a veterinary doctor certified that your pet has been vaccinated with all the valid and up-to-date vaccinations, your pet required.
- Your pet must be having a microchip or legible tattoo on the body if it is a European pet animal.
- If traveling to Italy with your pet, then your pet must have a Pet Health card or certificate which you have to show at the check-in point at the airport on the day of the flight.
If you are flying to the United State with your pet, then animals like cats and dogs are only allowed to fly in the aircraft. They have also some rules and regulations which you have to follow to get the approval of pet transport by flight. Thus being pet flying owner in Alitalia flights to the USA, you need to show:
- You need to place a valid rabies vaccination certificate, mentioning that your pet has been vaccinated with every possible vaccination according to the age of your pet.
- According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention), they stated that dogs who are unimmunized are permitted, i.e. dogs who are not been immune from any rabies. For further information regarding pets flying to the USA, contact their official governmental site.
- You have to place a written or oral document confirming that your pet has been living in the country for 6 months or at least or born in the same country, which is rabies-free.
Get to show a list of rabies-free countries at http://www.cdc.gov/importation/rabies-free-countries.html
While flying to South Africa with a pet, you must be aware that, your pet can not get entry as in-cabin or as check baggage, but only go in the Cargo service of the respective airline.
On another hand, if you are coming from South Africa, you can take your pet in-cabin if and only if your pet along with the pet cage weighed 7 kg less. But in case if it exceeds, then, you have to send it back to cargo service of the airline.
To get full information regarding pet transport to or from South Africa, you should contact and get consult with the South African embassy.
Apart from the above destination, if you are flying with a pet to other countries, just make yourself acknowledge with all the information or rules required to follow to make your pet travel in the flight from that respective country’s embassy or consultant or simple contact IATA Travel Information Manual for advice and suggestions.
- United kingdom does not allow any pet transport by flight to or from the country.
- Ireland has the same as you do not permit any pet to travel on a flight to or from the country.
- Israel permits pet transport, but only for pets and dogs and that too with various restrictions and legislations have to follow by the owner of the pet. Click Here and know about the pet flight before the trip.
- When flying to Brazil with pets you need to have an International Veterinary Health Certificate (CZI), mandatory.
- Some breeds of pets are not allowed to fly in the flight of Alitalia and this also depends on the country you are flying to.
If a passenger is disabled and depends on their pet like a guide dog or assistance or service dog, then under special assistance conditions Alitalia airline gives permission to fly along with their owner, and that too even free of cost. Only you have to show a valid certificate of the training of the dog.
NOTE: This assistance or service or guide dogs can accommodate their disabled owner in countries like the United Kingdom and Irelands where pets are not allowed.
By Alitalia pet policy, there are certain breeds of animals that are not allowed in flight to have an air journey, as this may harm their life. And Alitalia airlines do not want to risk any life.
One such breed named brachycephalic famous for its short nose or snub nose is recommended not to take on flight journeys. As these types of breed face breathing problems, over high pressure released as the flight will be in height. And many times end up risking their lives.
There is a long list of breeds arranged by IATA Regulations, which are been restricted to flying in flight due to certain health or commercial reasons.
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Bichon Frise
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- Cane Corso
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Chihuahua (apple-headed)
- Chow Chow
- Dogo Argentino
- Dogue de Bordeaux
- English Mastiff
- French Bulldog
- Japanese Chin
- King Charles Spaniel
- Lhasa Apso
- Neapolitan Mastiff
- Presa Canario
- Shih Tzu
- Silky Terrier
- Tibetan Spaniel
- Valley Bulldog
- Yorkshire Terrier
- Exotic Shorthair
So due to health issues, airlines have carefully analyzed and banned the travel of these breeds on the flight of Alitalia.
Birds are not allowed to take off as a pet carrier by any passengers. According to the EU and the Ministry of Health, birds can spread avian (bird) flu. So there is a total ban on bird transport to Europe from Asia, Turkey, Russia, South Africa, Romania, and the Balkan Peninsula.
The above information is quite enough for Alitalia’s pet policy, still, you find any problem in understanding, then feel free to contact Alitalia’s official site or customer support, team. you can even get help from us Treknova, just call our toll-free number +1-800-831-1547 available to you 24*7.