Cathay Dragon is a major Hong Kong-based airline, which is supposed to be the subsidiary of Cathay Pacific. Cathay Dragon is one such airline giving its service since 1985 worldwide. But they do not have any specific Cathay Dragon pet policy, under which pets may fly in flights.
The service of the passenger is quite welling and comforting with the co-operative staff of Cathay Dragon. So when there is talk about pet travel in Cathay Dragon flights, it’s been strictly prohibited to bring pets in-cabin, except in case your pet is a service dog.
But in some cases, with special permission, you can transport live animals in Cathay Dragon flights as in cargo hold of the aircraft, but you can not take off your pet in the passenger cabin of Cathay Dragon in any condition.
So for service dogs or guide dogs, Cathay Dragon has strict rules and regulations under the Cathay Dragon pet policy, especially for service dogs.
So the question is who are service dogs? or who need service dogs? according to Cathay Dragon’s pet policy for service dogs.
And answer to this question is that service dogs or assistance dogs or guide dogs are those who had been specially trained for the people who are physically challenged or disabled to help them in their daily activities or can say these people can have their separate identity with these guide or service dogs.
And these disabled persons are like those who are partially or fully deaf, blind, or some were handicapped. These can follow their pet as a service dog in the passenger cabin of the flight flying seating beside their owner silently and peacefully.
If your pet is not meeting up these standards of being a service dog then your pet can not fly with Cathay Dragon Airlines.
- So your pet which you said to be service or guide or assistance dog must be well trained for it and certified with some license institution.
- Moreover, you should be aware of the fact that your service or assistance dogs must meet up with the general standards written by Assistance Dogs International.
- And if you are flying to Europe then, must remember they have another set of rules for service or assistance dogs under Assistance Dogs Europe to get entry to Europen countries.
- Furthermore, for guide dogs traveling over some international destinations, then you have to make your guide dog ready according to the International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF).
So if you had a plan that you have to take your service/ assistance/ guide dog along with you in Cathay Dragon flights, then you have to inform their local reservation official about your pet arrival in advance at least before 8 hours or more of the schedule timing of your flight.
And if you have booked your tickets from the travel agent then for them you must inform about your service dog’s arrival before a minimum of 48 hours of your flight.
Breeds not accepted to transport
The airline restricts some breed to transport as in check-in baggage or in cargo carriage in order to provide safety to other passengers.
Also, due to the health risk of the animals that are snub-nosed & flatter face, the airline is not accepting to travel them. The list is given below of restricted animals:
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Chow Chow
- Dogue de Bordeaux
- English Toy Spaniel
- Japanese Chin (Japanese Spaniel)
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all breeds)
- Pug (all breeds)
- Shar Pei
- Shih Tzu
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Tibetan Spaniel
Fighting breeds of dog
- American Pit Bull
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Dogo Argentina
- Fila Brasiliera
- Japanese Tosa
- British shorthair
- Exotic shorthair
- Himalayan cat
- Persian cat
- Scottish Fold
- Sphynx cat
Steps to follow to make your service or guide dogs fly:
There are certain steps that you have to follow to make your service/ guide dogs ready to fly abroad.
- Your pet must qualify all the rules and regulations specified by the respective country you are flying, though guidelines for service or guide dogs changes from country to country.
- Flying your service or guide dogs via Hong Kong, then do not forget to apply for permission of them by Special Permit from the Hong Kong Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD). As soon as you get permission, you will get a written approval
- You even have to inform about the arrival of your service or guide dog at the airport for flight with you in-cabin in advance to the local reservation office of Cathay Dragon. So that staff of Cathay Dragon can arrange all the possible necessities which one service/ guide dogs may need to fulfill for flight journey.
On the flight day
- On the day of your flight, you must come up with all the required documents or papers or certificates of your service or guide dogs and on the basis of those, your pet will get entry from the check-in point and also at arrival destination so to e=get entry to the respective country.
- If your dog is big enough, then you should keep this responsibility to make them sit beside you at your feet in the entire flight journey In-cabin after you have boarded the flight.
- If you have a small-sized service or guide dog, then you should keep them over your lap in the entire journey and make sure that they did not distribute the co-passenger who is seating beside you.
- Your dog should be harnessed or leashed properly throughout the journey to your destination.
- You will be responsible for the hygiene maintenance and sanitation of your dog if they relieve themselves in the case in the cabin only.
So here is the end of all the instructions, but still, you have any questions then do feel free to contact Cathay Dragon airlines customer center to get a helpful response. You can even contact us, treknova on our toll-free number +1-800-831-1547 which has been available for 24*7 for our customer’s queries to solve.