Being a pet lover, you will try to make your pet travel along with you everywhere you go. So when you are flying on a flight abroad, you will try to get your pet with you also. Cathay Pacific is a Hong Kong-originated airways, flying all over the world with a comfortable journey for passengers as well as pets in aircraft.
In short, Cathay Pacific airways allow a pet in their aircraft, but in hold or cargo of aircraft, and strictly prohibited to bring pets in the passenger cabin of the flight, in any case, except if your pet is one service or guide dog. So for flying your pet with Cathay Pacific, there are some guidelines under the Cathay Pacific Airway pet policy for your pet.
The service of pet transport in the hold section of aircraft by Cathay Pacific is quite good and they keep in mind the full safety and comfort of your pet. So there are certain standard rules listed by Cathay Pacific Airway pet policy for your pet flight so that they could fly out and in or within Hong Kong and all over the world without any hazard.
Below we will inform you all about Cathay Pacific Airway pet policy in detail for better knowledge of it if you want to fly with Cathay Pacific.
Travel with pets
When you have flight tickets with Cathay Pacific and you want to take your pet along with you, these are some of the measures and guidance for pet passengers to make your pet travel in the baggage hold as checked baggage and even send in the cargo hold of aircraft. But here the condition may change if you rebook your flight because the newly booked flight is allowing the pets as per their availability of reservation and seats.
Flying from Hong Kong
While flying abroad and even want to take your pet along apart from Hong Kong, just remember Cathay Pacific can only accept pets like dogs and cats, that too even in the hold compartment as you will send your pet as checked baggage, whereas you can even send them in Cathay Pacific airways’ cargo service.
The destination you are flying to with pets totally depends on the factors listed down by the respective countries’ guidelines for pet travel schemes. Before the flight day, you should contact to local reservation office of Cathay Pacific Airways.
Apart from when you are traveling over some international destination with your poet, you should visit the IATA Travel Centre website once, so that you get to know all the standard instructions for a pet traveling by air throughout the world.
Flying to Hong Kong
Just let you inform when you are flying to Hong Kong from some other international destination, your pet is allowed to travel only in the cargo hold of Cathay pacific airways.
So before flying back to Hong Kong, just get all the information and instructions that come under the Cathay Pacific airways pet policy, by getting in touch with the local Cathay Pacific Cargo office.
As you know every country has its own set of rules for pet transport when flying through the air to the respective countries. So similarly, Hong Kong has its own set of regulations for pet travel from other countries which has been listed by the government of Hong Kong under the Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Department.
By visiting their government site, you will get explained guidelines for entering pets or importing pets to Hong Kong with what soo ever restrictions, and moreover, for the latest update, you should always check their site before you fly with pets in Hong Kong.
Pets in Cathay Dragon
Cathay Dragon is a subordinate airway of Cathay Pacific. So if you are flying with Cathay Dragon or sometimes your flight may be directly or your itinerary operated by Cathay Dragon, then just remember, this flight does not permit pets either in the hold section or in-cabin. Except if you are traveling with a pet-like service or guide dog.
And if you have traveled half the way with a pet and you have a connecting flight with Cathay Dragon, then you have to approach the cargo service of Cathay Pacific. So you have to contact the Cathay Pacific cargo service office for a procedure and requirements needed to send pets in cargo.
There are most countries, where some documents are required to travel with your pets:
- You must have the export or import permits from the applicable authority of the countries.
- You must have a valid health certificate from a registered veterinary doctor as it works like proof that your pet is free from rabies and other diseases.
- Your pet should be vaccinated & you should have the proper record for that.
- You must have the transit permit by the applicable authority of all transit countries.
At the Airport
So on the day of your flight, you have to arrive at the airport with your pet for check-in at least 3 to 4 hours before your scheduled time. This is the minimum time required for finishing up all the formalities and checking all the requirements which your pet needed to fly in Cathay Pacific flights.
Once you are at the airport with a pet, you can not bring your pet outside and keep closed in a closed container and you place your pet in a pet container with all the documents and papers which may be required to ger approval for pet travel in the hold of aircraft or under cargo service.
- After all the paperwork and formalities, your pet will finally be approved to check in to board a flight in the cargo or baggage compartment of the aircraft.
- Before that, your pet container will be secured by the staff of Cathay Pacific carefully for the safety of pets, so that they did not get an escape in any case.
- Moreover, the cargo or hold department of the aircraft will maintain the right temperature which will suit your pet and get a smooth flight journey.
- Pet containers are kept at such a distance so that they get proper ventilation for hazardless comfort journeys in cargo or hold sections of aircraft.
- You should be aware that your pet carriage will be rated as special baggage when you will arrive at the desired destination. So Cathay Pacific Airlines staff over arrival airport make sure they hand over pet carriage to their respective owner in a meanwhile after you have collected your baggage.
Preparing your pet to fly:
So before the day of the flight, you have to get confirmation of your pet transport availability in advance. For that, you have to contact local reservation officers of Cathay Pacific prior to a minimum of 48 hours.
When you will call them, they will ask you certain questions and details of your pet to get confirmation or approval for the boarding of your pet and the detail they will ask are:
- Weight of pets including the weight of pet containers in total.
- The material of the pet container along with its dimensions and type of container.
- Valid health certificate stating about all the vaccination done to your pet and in addition all other documents which are required to get an entry of your pet in the respective country you are flying.
NOTE: get more detailed requirements of documents for pets’ approval for flight journey at the website of Customs, Currency & Airport information section of the IATA Travel Centre.
Whether your pet has all correct documents and get approval on basis of paperwork, but if your pet is sick or not healthy at the time of check-in at the airport on flight day, then under Cathay Pacific Airways pet policy, a flight of your pet will be refused due to the safety of your pet only.
Whereas before sending your pet in the hold section or cargo of aircraft, make sure your pet is well hydrated. And in case the flight journey is of more than 12 hours, then fix a water container for them inside the container, which must be filled with water but not overflowing.
As you know that your pet will fly to another country locked inside the container throughout the flight journey. So you have to keep your pet container comfortable for them. There are some general things that you should keep in mind regarding pet containers.
Dogs pet container:
For sending dogs in pet container, then it has some general instructions for it:
- Your pet carrier should be made of metal, fibreglass, or rigid plastic. Wooden carrier is not allowed to carry.
- If you carry foldable carrier and it is fixed by removable pin, then it will not be acceptable by the airline as is not rigid.
- If your pet carrier is totally constructed with the welded material, the airline will not accept it.
- Your pet carrier must be leakproof and clean as well.
- If your pet carrier has wheels, then it should be removable.
- Your pet container should have enough space to move, stand, turn, and lie down your pet easily.
- It should have proper vantilation system, so that pet can breath easily.
- The opening size your pet’s container can be maximum 25 mm x 25 mm (1 inch x 1 inch) for dogs and 19 mm x 19 mm (3/4 inch x 3/4 inch) for cats. The container opening must be nose and pawproof.
- The container must have food and water facility inside, so that the pet can eat and drink inside easily.
Cat pet container:
Guidelines for a pet container for a cat to travel is as similar as a dog, the only difference does can not be travel in a wood container, but the cat, as a pet can be travel in a container, made up of wood.
You have to fulfill all these guidances to make your pet travel abroad and initially get a check-in boarding pass to travel in the hold section or in the cargo department of Cathay Pacific aircraft.
In addition, you also have to make sure that if you are proving a food and water container to your pet then it should be properly attached inside the container and if not, then send your pet with food and water holders attached outside the cage.
Cathay Pacific can refuse to board your pet if its container weight when measured with the pet inside it, is over 32kgs or 70lbs. And pets are even not getting approval if the total length, width, & height dimensions of the container are not within 203 cm or 80 inches.
Airlines resist flying some breeds of cats and dogs, sometimes due to the protection of co-passengers and sometimes due to the safety of your pet only. So in these cases, Cathay Pacific strictly does not approve the boarding of such breed of pets.
And there are some breeds if they fly over certain high height, then it will be a threat to their health and sometimes also life. Like a breed of cats and dogs who has snub-nosed usually known as brachycephalic has a respiratory problem and flying in aircraft can be a life-risking factor for them.
So due to these reasons, Cathay Pacific Airways’ pet policy does not allow down below the list of breeds in their aircraft.
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Chow Chow
- Dogue de Bordeaux
- English Toy Spaniel
- Japanese Chin (Japanese Spaniel)
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all breeds)
- Pug (all breeds)
- Shar Pei
- Shih Tzu
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Tibetan Spaniel
- British shorthair
- Exotic shorthair
- Himalayan cat
- Persian cat
- Scottish Fold
- Sphynx cat
Fighting breeds of dog
- American Pit Bull
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Dogo Argentina
- Fila Brasileira
- Japanese Tosa
Apart from dogs and cats as pets, Cathay Pacific Airways also does not permit Korean squirrel and Skunk in their flight either in the hold or under cargo service.
As you know that Cathay Pacific airlines accept the only service or guide dogs to travel along with their owner in the passenger cabin. To travel in a passenger cabin of Cathay Pacific aircraft, there are some guidelines, which you have to follow for their betterment as well as looking towards the safety of co-passengers also.
You also know Cathay Dragon and Cathay Pacific are two subordinate airlines so instructions for service or guide dogs travel in-cabin are the same.
Apart from the above details, if you feel that you want to know anything more, you can get in touch with the Cathay Pacific Customer care center or visit the official site to solve your queries. If you have more questions, you can even contact us, treknova is available for your 24*7 by dialing on +1-800-831-1547 toll-free number.