Before getting deep into the idea of the best Finnair Pet policy let’s know a little about Finnair Airlines itself.
Finnair is the national carrier of Finland and the largest airline. It is headquartered in Vantaa and its headquarters are at Helsinki Airport. Finnair and its subsidiaries dominate domestic and international air travel in Finland.
Finnair welcomes pets on certain flights, and this must be approved by the airline in advance. So, plan accordingly. It is important to understand the airline’s pet policies to understand the requirements and prepare your pet for safe and comfortable travel.
Way to Travel With Your Pets:
- Travel in the passenger cabin.
- Checked as baggage in the hold.
- Shipped as cargo.
Finnair can bring pets into the passenger cabin and cargo area, but there are some restrictions. Always check these policies on Finnair’s official site: finnair.com before making the Finnair Airline reservation so that you don’t have to go through all the troubles afterward.
Pets are not permitted on flights to/from the United Kingdom, Australia, Hong Kong, and the United Arab Emirates, and for flights from outside the European Union to/via Ireland.
When Finnair agrees to carry your pet as baggage, it will not be included in the free baggage allowance and the airline may impose other conditions. Any pets you bring with you, whether or not you bring them with you, will be considered excess baggage and billed accordingly.
Finnair’s pet policies only apply to the flights that are being operated by Finnair. If you are taking a combined flight by code (a flight operated by Finnair’s partner airline), airline rules apply, including the transportation of pets, but if the ticket is purchased with another airline’s flight number, many airlines do not accept pets.
Guidelines for Traveling with Pets
- Be sure you have to bear proper documents and vaccination certificates for your pets.
- Make sure you have a strong base container to hold the pets which is suitable and comfortable for pets with the proper ventilation.
- Trained your pet and make it familiar with the container so that your pet feels comfortable during the journey.
- This is much recommendable that you check-in your flight with the help desk rather than the self-service channel.
- Check and verify that your pet is allowed to travel at the destination or not. Because some countries don’t give permission to enter their borders.
- Before check-in, you should check the eligibility of your pet that airlines allow for travel with you in the same flight in-cabin or travel separately with the cargo.
- If you booked your ticket already and make a plan to travel with the pet then you should inform the Airlines booking department or you can contact directly with the helpline number or chat online 24hours prior to the flight departure.
Finnair Policy for Pet Acceptance
Finnair can bring pets into the passenger cabin and cargo area, but there are some restrictions.
- Pets are not permitted on flights to/from the United Kingdom, Australia, Hong Kong, and the United Arab Emirates, and for flights from outside the European Union to/via Ireland.
- When Finnair agrees to carry your pet as baggage, it will not be included in the free baggage allowance and the airline may impose other conditions.
- Any pets that you bring with you, whether you bring them in a cage or bag or some other kind of carrier, will be considered excess baggage and billed accordingly.
- Even in case, you might have done a wrong booking you have the option to manage your booking with Finnair airlines, Managing booking is a vital option where you can make any changes to your airline tickets including cancellations and refunds as well.
- Finnair’s pet policy applies only to flights operated by Finnair. If you are on a combined flight with a code (a flight operated by Finnair’s partner airline), airline rules apply, including the transportation of pets, but if the ticket is purchased with another airline’s flight number, many airlines do not accept pets.
Finnair lets passengers travel with emotional support and service animals at no extra cost. However, the passenger must present documents to the airline to ascertain the requirement of the accompanying animal.
Documents, Vaccination & Quarantines
Rules and regulations, documents, vaccinations, and quarantine periods regarding pet transportation may vary according to the country. For full information, you have to consult the authorities of your destination country.
Make sure your pet has its passport as it is mandatory for all ferrets, cats, and dogs for traveling between European countries. You have the option to purchase your pet transport from your vet.
Are Pets allowed in Passenger cabins?
Under certain restrictions, only small animals, such as dogs, cats, rabbits, and other rodents, can be brought into the cabin.
On intercontinental flights, pets are not allowed in the business class cabin, as there is no space left in the reclining seat to properly place the pet.
When traveling with Finnair, your pet should be placed in a suitable container, such as a soft bag or a suitable box. If the kennel is too large to be transported in the cabin, or if the animal has been transported in inappropriate conditions, such as in a very small container, the airline reserves the right to refuse carriage. During the flight, pets are not allowed out of their enclosures.
Weight and Size Restrictions
The total weight of the container( that includes your pet and the weight of his cage) should not exceed 8 kg (17 lbs).
If you plan to bring pets into the cabin, Finnair recommends transporting them in soft bags, except for rodents, which should always be transported in a hard bag. Although you can put this bag containing your pet directly under the seat in front of you, it should still be large enough to comfortably carry your pet. As far as your pet’s health is concerned, it should be able to stand, sit, lie down in a natural position, and rotate naturally when placed in the bag.
Soft luggage should have the same size as the maximum carry-on luggage, especially 56 x 45 x 25 cm (22 x 18 x 10 inches), while the maximum size for hard luggage should be 35 x 30 x 20 cm (14 x 12 x 8) Inches). On Norra-operated flights, the maximum safety bag size is 55 x 40 x 20 cm (21 x 15 x 8 inches). If the above dimensions or weights are excessive, the animals and their belongings will be taken to the nest.
If the above dimensions or weights are excessive, the animals and their belongings will be taken to the nest.
- Pets are not included in carry-on baggage in the free baggage allowance, but are always viewed as excess baggage and are charged accordingly:
- Short excursions – 40 € one way.
- Long trips – 75 EUR / 100 USD / CAD one way.
Size of Container
|Finnair Flights||Norra Flights|
|Soft Cage||55 x 40 x 23 cm (22 x 16 x 9 in)||55 x 40 x 20 cm (21 x 15 x 8 in)|
|Hard Cage||35 x 30 x 20 cm (14 x 12 x 8 in)||35 x 30 x 20 cm (14 x 12 x 8 in)|
Policy for Pets as Checked Baggage
If the gross weight of a pet and its container exceeds 8 kg (17 lb), regardless of type or type, all animals must be transported in the cabin as checked baggage. When transporting pets as checked baggage, the following points must be kept in mind:
- The charging box must comply with IATA regulations. Not only does the box have to be proportional to the size of the animal, but it must also be large enough to enable it to travel in the most humane conditions. Therefore, in order to reduce stress on your pet, please try to ensure that his container provides enough space for him to move freely and sit comfortably during the flight.
- For pets over 40 kg (88 lbs), a sturdy transport box is required.
- The gross weight of the animal and its crate should not exceed 50 kg (110 lb).
- For pets over 50 kg (110 lb) and their homes, cargo must be transported.
Those animals that are big enough to exceed the required limit of the cabin, must be transported as checked baggage. A pet that weighs more than 88 lbs should be kept inside a strong carrier. Also, the carrier should be big enough and properly ventilated. The combined weight of the pet and carrier should be within 110 lbs.
Pets are not part of the free baggage allowance, so you have to pay exorbitant luggage fees.
- Short-haul flights – €75 one-way.
- Long-haul flights – €300 / $350 USD/CAD one-way.
Finnair recommends that dogs, cats, and rabbits travel in a soft-sided carry basket, which should not exceed 21 x 15 x 8 inches. On the other hand, rodents should always be kept in solid support, and their dimensions should be within 14 x 12 x 8 inches. Regardless of what the carrier is, it should be flexible enough to fit the seat, and large enough to stand, turn around, and sit comfortably.
Animals exceeding cabin requirements must be carried as checked baggage. Pets weighing more than 88 pounds should be kept in a sturdy basket. In addition, the rack should be large enough and well ventilated. Pets and carriers’ gross weight should be in the range of 110 lbs.
Pets in Cargo
If the gross weight of your pet and carrier exceeds 110 pounds (50 kg), the pet must be shipped as cargo instead. Finnair Cargo policy in Finnair pet policy, especially for pets provides safe and fast animal transportation services. Moreover, they provide this service to most direct Finnair destinations. You can call their Finland call center at (+358) 9-818-501 to find out more details about the conditions.
If you are traveling with a puppy, it must be at least eight weeks old, weaned from its mother, and able to eat on its own.
Those dogs which are specially trained to assist disabled passengers are eligible for free transportation in the cabin on all of our flights. If you are traveling with a guide dog or dog and hear or see a dog or service dog please let us know at least 48 hours before departure.
Please note that to/across some countries, you may only ship pets as merchandise. Also, rodents and exotic pets, such as snakes, lizards, birds, or insects, should be shipped as cargo according to Finnair’s pet policy. All animals and unaccompanied animals brought by a third person from outside the EU are also shipped as goods.
Size Of Container
|Aircraft Type||A330/350||A319/320/321||E90 (Norra)||ATR (Norra)|
|Maximum Size||122 x 81 x 89 cm||122 x 81 x 89 cm||101 x 68 x 76 cm||81 x 57 x 53 cm|
Pet Qualification For Travel As Checked Baggage
- Pets weighing over 40 kg / 88 lbs should be transported in a sturdy wooden transport box.
- If each puppy weighs less than 14 kg / 30 lbs, then up to three dogs smaller than six months old can be transported in the same box.
- Only animals up to six months old and over two months old are allowed in the same box. The maximum permissible weight per animal is 14 kg / 30 lbs.
- The point to be remembered is that if in case the combined weight of the pet and the box exceeds 50 kg / 110 lbs, it must be shipped as cargo.
- Only two cabin pet boxes can be transported at a time, while only one pet box can be transported in the Embraer. Certified pet transport boxes can be sold in supermarkets and pet stores.
All the above policies are what come under Finnair pet Policy. To know more about the pet policy you can click on this link. Click Here
Travel To Your Destination With Your Pet
Different countries have different regulations regarding travel with pets. Some countries may impose entry restrictions according to Finnair pet Policy, on certain animals or breeds. We recommend that you find out the specific regulations for your destination from the nearest consulate or embassy.
When traveling to or through certain countries, you can only ship pets as cargo, which means your pet is not traveling with you. These countries are, for example, Great Britain, Hong Kong, the United Arab Emirates, and Australia.
To get your booking done for your pet in advance you can visit their official site for Finnair Airlines Pet Policy for booking but if you are getting any problems regarding it, you can even contact the Finnair Airlines customer support team. Dial our toll-free number +1-800-831-1547 to get instant help from us.