Hawaiian Airlines is one of the best airlines in Hawaii. This is the Hawaiian flag bearer, as we all know Hawaii is one of the favorite beach destinations for people and so is this airline. It is the best airline when it comes to comfort and the best passenger service. Here you will learn Hawaiian Airlines Pet Policy.
Hawaiian Airlines will allow cats and small dogs to fly in the cabin on routes within the Hawaiian Islands or flights outside of Hawaii except for those ending at JFK. All the travelers who need a service animal have a piece of good news as Hawaiian Airlines provide acceptance for service animals are only on flights to Hawaii.
House birds can be transported easily as checked baggage in an appropriate birdcage.
On all flights of more than 8 hours, passengers traveling with a service animal and emotional support must provide documentation stating that their hygiene needs have been met Passengers are responsible for all damages to the aircraft caused by their animals.
Dogs trained in explosive detection, drug search, rescue, or other specific functions will be accepted as long as the dog is properly harnessed or restrained, and is accompanied by his handler, and is not permitted to take a seat or sit in emergency exit rows. The dog and its handler must be on an official mission in relation to military or government services and the credentials of the handler are verified.
Therapy and service animals will not be accepted into training as service or emotional support animals. Don’t worry and book a ticket with them, make a reservation they have this awesome manage booking section that allows you to keep an eye on your booking and it will be helpful in making some good often changes to your ticket booking.
Hawaii is a rabies-free state that means they have no Rabies Virus. Due to Hawaii’s strict regulations and restrictions, we encourage you to contact the Hawaiian Department of Animal Industry – Animal Quarantine Division of the Department of Agriculture for information regarding travel arrangements and fees to enter Hawaii.
Pet can be traveled in Hawaiian Airline
So, we have 3 ways a pet can be transported by Hawaiian Airlines. You can consider traveling with your pet in any of these three ways while choosing Hawaiian Airlines to fly. Whether on domestic or international trips.
- Pets can travel in the cabin
- Pets can travel as luggage
- Petr can travel in the cargo area
Now we’ll consider checking the policies of all the above-mentioned methods of traveling with your pet on Hawaiian Airlines. We’ll start with :
Pet Traveling in Cabin
Hawaiian Airlines welcomes dogs and kittens to fly in the passenger cabin on inter-island flights and also the flights that are departing from Hawaii, as long as the combined weight of the pet and the carrier does not exceed 25 lbs (11 kg) there is absolutely no problem in carrying your pet.
Each passenger can travel with one carrier. Only one animal is allowed per carrier, except for 2 puppies or cats of the same litter or breed. There is a $ 35 fee that you have to pay for your pets traveling in the passenger cabin on inter-island flights. For all other trips, the fee is $ 175 (one way). Pets are not accepted on international flights or flights to/from JFK.
• Allowed only on inter-island flights and flights departing from Hawaii.
• Pets are definitely not permitted on incoming flights to Hawaii due to quarantine requirements as Hawaii is a rabies-free region and they need to keep it like that. You should travel your pet in an approved carrier that fits snugly under the seat in front of you.
• You can book your pet in the passenger cabin at the exact same time as booking your own ticket for the reservation of your flight. That can be domestic as well as International flight. This very much is subjected to the availability of the space in the flight as well as the applicable fees. You can know this by contacting Hawaiian Airlines reservations directly.
The following fees will apply:
- Travel within Hawaii: $ 35.00
- Travel from Hawaii to North America: USD 175.00
Hawaiian Airlines accepts:
- An adult dog or cat shall occupy a conveyor belt; or two puppies or kittens of the same breed or litter, but not less than eight weeks old and not more than six months old. The weight of the entire thing being carried out by the traveler which includes the animal and container must not exceed the combined weight of 25 pounds
Hawaiian Airlines reserves all the rights to request the owner for the documents. It can contain from the animal treatment veterinarian to determine the age and eligibility of the animal.
Carrier Requirement for Cabin Travel
You are responsible for obtaining a carrier for your animal, as we do not provide carriers for animals. Remember that all the animal carriers are liable for inspection, which means that the official Hawaiian Airline can inspect these carriers/cages and approval from Hawaiian Airlines before accepting your animal for travel.
- The sides of the holder should be smooth and leak-proof.
- The cage/carrier should be large enough to allow the animal to sit down, stand upright, turn around and lie down in a natural position. Failing this can cause a severe penalty as well.
- Animals must stay in their carriers at stations and on ships.
- Animal carriers are prohibited from leaving the breaches, emergency exit rows and the rows adjacent to the emergency exit rows.
- You must keep the career under your seat right below your own self, so that in case of mishaps or emergency vacant. You can have access to your pet.
- The carrier must not exceed the following dimensions (in inches):
16 feet long x 10 feet wide x 9.5 feet high.
Pet Traveling as Checked Baggage
To ensure the health and safety of your pet, online, kiosk, and mobile check-in will be restricted to allow examination of your animal, bearer, and applicable documentation by our Hawaiian Airlines personnel. We ask that you check in one hour before the public check-in and have all documents applicable to your person to help speed up the check-in process.
• The combined weight of the pet and kennel must not exceed 70 pounds. If the total weight exceeds 70 pounds. We may transport your animals through our transportation department.
• The pet will be loaded into the luggage compartment of the passenger’s flight.
• You can keep your pets as checked baggage while booking your ticket. (Depends on applicable fees and available space. You can contact Hawaiian Airlines to book to arrange your own.)
Pets are not allowed on flights to/from New York or Boston, to/from international cities, or to/from Pago Pago.
During the annual lockdown periods (April 15 – October 15), we cannot accept animals as checked baggage under any circumstances. Ban cities are as follows:
- San Jose, California (SJC)
- Sacramento, California (SMF)
- Las Vegas, Nevada (LAS)
- Phoenix, Arizona (PHX)
Carrier Requirements for Checked Baggage
Hawaiian Airlines complies with the United States Department of Agriculture (AWA) Animal Welfare Act (AWA) and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requirements.
You are responsible for having dogs for your pet, as we do not provide animal homes. All animal houses are inspected and approved by Hawaiian Airlines before your pet is accepted for travel
- Kennels should be in a condition that appears safe and can secure the animal, be with solid sides (such as wood, metal, or a material of similar strength), leak-proof, designed to prevent escapes, and have sufficient hand grips to enable lifting without coming in contact with the animal.
- The kennel should be large enough to allow the animal to sit, stand upright, turn around and lie down in a natural position.
- The kennel should have absorbent material (blanket, towel, shredded paper, absorbent pad).
- Animals must not be leached or restrained in the kennel.
Pet Travelling in Cargo
They take extra care when transporting all animals. We have provided a checklist below to answer common questions and concerns to help ensure the safety and comfort of animals. It is limited to the following live animals: dogs, cats, tropical fish, and crustaceans. Need to make an appointment in advance. All live animals must comply with IATA live animals and USDA/APHIS regulations as well as U.S. Fish and wildlife regulations.
The shipper must have the documents required to transport the animal, including a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian, no more than ten days before the flight departing from Hawaii, and no more than fourteen days before the flight to Hawaii. The minimum age requirement must be 8 weeks or more and the mother must be weaned. All shipments must be prepaid, we only accept credit cards or personal checks.
Carrier Requirements for Cargo Baggage
In addition to the maximum size and weight, USDA and Hawaiian Airlines require that the kennel must meet the following requirements:
- Leakproof and escape.
- It should be well ventilated, but no part of the animal should be allowed to protrude from the container.
- Provide enough space for animals to stand and turn.
- Made of metal, wood or hard/composite plastic.
- Contains adsorbent or waste.
- It has a functional handle on the outside of the kennel to prevent tilting and any direct contact with animals.
- Close tightly, but do not close.
- Write the label ‘Live Animal’ on letters that are at least one inch high on at least one side of the box.
- Make the label straight arrow indicate the correct location of the doghouse.
Traveling with Service Animals
The airline allows that pets and their owner to travel in aircraft. The service animals are those who have been trained to perform specific, work, or tasks. They are different from the emotional support animals as they assist their owner with a disability.
Traveling with Emotional Support Animals
From Jan 11, 2021, the airline has not allowed emotional support animals as service animals. If you still want that emotional support animal to travel with you can travel with them as pets only when all the requirements are met.
Emotional support animals are those animals that give you comfort, affection, or companionship, these animals are not trained to do some specific job or task to assist a disabled owner.
If the actual or expected temperature in each city along the way is between 45 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit, we are happy to accept cats and cats for transportation.
20 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit
If the actual or expected temperature in any city along the route is below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, an adaptation certificate is required. It must be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian, and the date should be within 10 days of the departure and return journey, and it should include the shipper’s name, address, animal species, and the specified low temperature that the animal can withstand. If the document does not mention a certain low temperature, your pet is not allowed to travel.
Below 20 degrees Fahrenheit
If the actual or expected temperature in any city along the route is below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, we will not transport any animals.
Hawaiian Airlines may refuse to transport animals due to illness, aggressive behavior, unhealthy dog breeding or origin, transportation, or extreme temperatures at the destination airport.
Strict regulations will apply to short-nosed dogs and cats.
Please contact the airline directly for information on traveling with service animals.
Pet Requirements to enter in Hawaii
- Hawaiian Airlines may refuse to transport animals due to illness, aggressive behavior, unhealthy dog breeding or origin, transportation or extreme temperatures at the destination airport.
- Strict regulations will apply to short-nosed dogs and cats.
- Please contact the airline directly for information on travelling with service animals.
- Your dog or cat must have been vaccinated against rabies at least twice in its lifetime, and the interval between these vaccines should be more than 30 days. The final vaccination must be done at least 30 days before arriving in Hawaii.
- Your pet should be classified using a product containing Fipronil or a long-lasting equivalent product, which is classified as capable of killing lice within 14 days of entering Hawaii.
- You will always have to be ready for the worst, in case things don’t go right and you need to make some major changes or eventually had to cancel your air ticket. Because this is something that happens a lot with passengers that are travelling with their pets at the last minute. In any such case you must know about the airlines’ cancellation policy, Thus here is Hawaiian Airlines cancellation policy for you all.