What are Standby Flights
Standby Flights or flying on the same day is a form of the ticket when a passenger has a ticket and wants to change it for the earlier flight or maybe later although there is the possibility of getting the cheapest flight but not always. You just have to make a request by contacting the ticket agents or reservation department in person or by making calls. The reservation department assist you if any vacant seat is available on the flight as per your wish. It is also beneficial in terms of getting the seat up-gradation.
On the other hand, means right into the departure and right into the last available seat on the flight. Overall what does it mean! means passengers have to wait for the desired seats or the flight to show available. In case of cancellation, no show, or the airline doesn’t manage to fill it, then it will be given to the standby passengers.
This isn’t common nowadays because usually, the airline is overbooking flights or Airlines help the patient traveler make the switch.
Procedure for Getting Standby Flights?
As soon as the passengers get the idea that there is a necessity to change the flight, they need to call, mail to the airline agent, or go personally to the airport and talk to the airline agents on the airport.
The best chances for booking the flight as earliest as possible can be during the mid-week when fewer people are traveling. The other way is to try reaching the airport in the early morning and talk with the airline employees at the gate.
Who can fly Standby
Nowadays things have changed. It’s not possible for everyone to apply for Standby Flights and this is only applied for:
- Buddy Pass: These are a group of people who have their known person work for the airline and they can travel on a complimentary ticket base with a heavily discounted fare. The pass is having a small fee but the passenger can upgrade the ticket to a business or first-class seat if only the empty seats are available.
- Potential standby passenger (flying standby): Those passengers who have already booked their flight but need to change it for an earlier date or due to the weather problem their current ticket got canceled, so they need the earliest upcoming tickets to book. The passenger has to wait sometimes until the last moment and till the flight crew is about to get close, passengers get informed whether they can board or not.
Tips for Flying Standby
There are a few tips to be a concern which may be different from one airline to the other airline. To know more in detail about these tips you need to check the concerned airline’s website.
For the overall common knowledge check the following list:
- Travel with carry-on luggage.
You are not allowed to fly standby if already checked your bag. This means you should not worry if your luggage gets delayed or even lost.
- Apply for standby as soon as possible.
- Join loyalty rewards program for airlines and gain status.
Not only increase your chances in standby Flights but also you get a lounge to enjoy while waiting for standby Flights.
- Avoid highly restrictive flight tickets.
Some airlines may not allow standby Flights. Before buying your tickets read the policy carefully.
- Go to the departure gate for the selected standby flights ASAP.
You have to be approachable near the gate. So that once they call your name you can respond. Otherwise, it will end up for someone else who is also on a waiting list to board the flight.
- Be patient and flexible.
Since you are the person who decided to change the ticket, you have to wait a lot. Also, need to walk from one gate to another gate for receiving your green signal.
Pros and Cons Of Standby Flights
Standby is a good tool for getting flight tickets on-demand on the same day but it is not necessary that the ticket is entitled to you because it depends on the vacant seat or if the ticket is unsold. So there are some advantages as well as disadvantages. Here we discuss the negative and positive aspects of standby.
Advantages of standby flights
- Standby offers more flexibility to the passengers so here you don’t need to book your ticket previously or book in advance because it depends on the unsold ticket or if the seat is vacant on the last day or last moment. So no one predicts the availability of the seat. The best way to get standby tickets that you should check the seat frequently on the day when you fly.
- If you buy a standby ticket then there is a chance of getting a cheaper flight usually. Generally, the ticket which is reserved for the staff of the airlines and their family members is available at a discounted rate and if they denied or cancel their ticket then the airline sells it to other passengers. Every airline has its own set of a rule regarding standby flights in some cases they sell the vacant seat at a discounted rate if there are fewer passengers.
- The most beneficial thing is you don’t have to pay any single penny in advance to get the stand-by flight because it depends on the unsold ticket and you have to pay only if you got your seat reservation on the flight.
Disadvantages of standby flight
- If you want to fly for some occasion or family function then you shouldn’t go for the standby flight because there is a possibility that you didn’t get a ticket on the same day when you want to fly. Sometimes it happens that flight ticket is overbooked so keep in mind these situations may be confronted.
- Passengers who want standby tickets then they always depend on the other person or you can say they rely on the other person if someone got canceled their ticket then you may get your chance to book your ticket. And if you are a busy person then you don’t go for this because you have to check frequently about the vacant seat s it is also a time taking process.
- If you have already a ticket and you go for standby then your checked baggage is not transported on the same flight but it will transport by the original flight which you booked previously. So it is recommended that you should go with a check-in bag if you buy standby.
- Airlines always sort the standby ticket by the seniority or by the government officials so this is a big problem if you go for standby that you have to wait for your chance to get fit in their sorting process.
Standby Flights cost
The airline usually charges an additional fee for changing the ticket. If the previous ticket was cheaper, the passenger has to pay some additional charges but if the current ticket is more expensive the airline will most likely return the extra amount. There are some exceptions that they don’t need to pay fees. People like frequent flyer clubs and people who collect air miles through credit card purchases, do not need to pay extra for the earlier or the later flight.
The fees from the different airlines are different. It’s better to check their policies and website. Here we are providing insight into some standby flight airlines’ costs.
|Alaska Airlines||Free||Same day_ certain cities|
|American Airlines||75$||Same day_only for military personnel, first-class, business class, and AAdvantage Elite members|
|Delta Airlines||75$||Basic economic tickets are not eligible but the rest is.|
|Frontier Airlines||Amount difference||Expect elite members to qualify for standby flights|
|JetBlue||75$||first-come, first-serve, and same-day flight changes for select fare types|
|Southwest Airlines||Depends on the type of paid-for tickets||Only ‘Anytime’ and ‘Business Select’ fares are eligible|
|United Airlines||75$||Most of the passengers|
Standby policies by airlines
Eligible passengers must: be nonstop flight between Alaska airline, have a refundable main cabin ticket or first-class ticket in A, D, or F class service, MVP gold Mileage plan member, or as their own same reservation service that they had earlier. The rest of the passenger has to pay 25$ to get the ticket on the condition of having vacant seat.
American Airlines Standby
Eligible passenger must: be a passenger with an unrestricted economy plan, first-class or business tickets. For those passengers who have AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status or Sapphire, Oneworld Emerald, or Ruby status and up to eight companions in the same record. AirPass membership passengers, AAnytime award tickets, and First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets may also fly standby. Also military people. Passengers cant change the itinerary to the city with multiple airports. Or to the different connecting cities.
Delta Airlines Standby
Eligible passengers must: be platinum, diamond, or Gold Medallion members and SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus members. Those who can’t get the confirmed ticket can apply for the next available flight. 24 hours before the departure of the original flight has to be requested for the flight changes.
Frontier Airlines Standby
Eligible passengers must: be passengers who are members of Elite of EarlyReturns with no additional cost on earlier or later flights on the same day. Other passengers have to pay a 99$ fee.
Following is a group that considered the same cities for standby with the same-day confirmed flight changes;
Madison, International Airport and Milwaukee International Airport, LaGuardia Chicago-O’Hare International Airport and Milwaukee International Airport, Fort Lauderdale International Airport, and West Palm Beach International Airport, Los, Washington Dulles Airport and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Angeles International Airport and Orange County/Santa Ana Airport, Airport, Trenton Airport, and Philadelphia International Airport, Orange County/Santa Ana Airport and San Diego Airport, Orlando International Airport and Tampa International Airport and Orlando International Airport and St. Augustine Airport.
There is a standby available one flight prior to the confirmed scheduled departure to be free but not granted. passengers who missed their flight can travel by standby but the additional fare fee has to be paid. Passengers have to be applied at the airport for the same day only and within the same origin and destination cities.
JetBlue is also offering a same-day change option.
Southwest Airlines Standby
Eligible passengers must: be on business select and Anytime fee for the same destination and the same day of the trip with no charges of the fee. Passengers who missed their flight, need to cancel their reservation 10 min in advance.
United Airlines Standby
It is free but if the penalties or charges are involved while standby due to the flight irregularity. Those passengers who are having restricted tickets can make same-day flight changes for the discounted fees. Economy class is not eligible for standby flights.
In this article, we discussed standby and its tips, cost, and even a few airlines about their rules for the standby Flights.
We wish that you found this information helpful enough. But again we are advising you to go through the websites of the concerned airlines that you are booking your ticket from. Read their conditions in detail to avoid any future problems. Wish you luck.
Suggestions To Read: