Long before smartphones were invented, people had to physically visit organizations to get their work done. Likewise, even today, airports still offer boarding passes in the form of hard copy (printed on paper) an electronic copy via email, which is mandatory for passengers before boarding their flights. A Guide On Southwest Airlines Mobile Boarding Pass. However, with smartphones becoming an integral part of our lives, airlines have started launching mobile apps that provide features that also allow eligible passengers to request a boarding pass as a convenience.
In this travel guide prepared by Treknova, we shall take a look at how you can request your Southwest Airlines boarding pass using your mobile phone.
What is a Mobile Boarding Pass?
The Southwest Mobile Boarding Pass is basically an electronic document (i.e. an electronic copy) that allows eligible travelers to pass through security checkpoints and board their trips using their cell phone. The advantage of the boarding pass is available to travelers on domestic flights only.
The boarding pass can be viewed and saved on your smartphone simply by installing the Southwest mobile app on your device. The airline’s mobile app is available for download on the iOS and Android platforms via its respective stores, such as Apple Store and Google PlayStore.
In the later sections of this guide, we will show you how to view and save a copy of your Southwest mobile boarding pass on your smartphone using the airline’s mobile app.
Where is Mobile Boarding Pass Available?
You can easily obtain a Southwest Airlines boarding pass at all of the United States airports where Southwest Airlines is served.
It is important to keep in mind that boarding passes are only available to passengers on southwest domestic flights departing from US airports. Therefore, if you are traveling on an international Southwest Airlines flight, you will not be provided with the option of a boarding pass.
Passengers Not Eligible for Mobile Boarding Pass
There are eligibility criteria for Southwest Airlines passengers who are permitted to use the option of a boarding pass.
Passengers who are not eligible for a boarding pass are listed below:
- Infants under the age of two.
- Minors travelling unaccompanied by parents or guardians.
- Non-revenue or standby passengers (passengers flying on discounted tickets or for free that does not account for any revenue for the airline).
- Secondary Security Screening Selectee (SSSS) passengers (passengers selected for additional inspection at U.S. airports).
- Military Fares (military travel discounts).
- Passengers travelling to international destinations.
Thus, as mentioned above, passengers travelling to destinations within the United States only are eligible for availing mobile boarding passes.
How to Receive and Save Southwest Mobile Boarding Pass on Mobile Phone – A Step-by-Step Guide
In order to receive and save your Southwest mobile boarding pass, you will first, need to download the Southwest mobile app on your iOS or Android device. The app provides user-friendly functionality that will allow you to easily request your mobile boarding pass and also save it on your device. You can then show your boarding pass at the security check-points and boarding gate.
Below is a step-by-step guide to receive and save your mobile boarding pass.
A. Receive and view your Mobile Boarding Pass using Southwest App
1. Open the Southwest app on your iOS or Android device.
2. Check in for your flight at least one hour before your scheduled departure. This is crucial.
3. After checking in for your flight, tap the Boarding Pass button to view a preview of your boarding pass.
4. From there, you can save your pass to either Apple Wallet or Google Pay.
5. You can now retrieve your boarding pass after checking in by tapping on the Boarding Pass button on your trip card or in trip details.
B. Save your Mobile Boarding Pass on your smartphone
(a) For users on iOS devices:
1. Open the Southwest app on your iOS device.
2. For iOS devices (version 8 and higher), users can check in and save their boarding pass directly to Apple Wallet from the mobile app or website.
3. After viewing your boarding pass on the app, tap the Add to Apple Wallet button. This will display your boarding pass on your device.
4. Now, tap the Add button in the top-right corner of the screen to save your boarding pass to Apple Wallet.
5. For saving passes from an e-mail, open the attachment found at the bottom the e-mail, tap the Add to Apple Wallet button and follow the same steps as given above.
Make sure to save each mobile boarding pass individually as a Wallet pass for flight check-in to avoid any sort of confusion.
(b) For users on Android devices:
1. Open the Southwest app on your Android device.
2. For Android devices (version 6 and higher), users can check in and save their boarding pass directly to Google Pay from the mobile app or website.
3. After viewing your boarding pass on the app, tap the Save to Phone button located on the top of the page.
4. A modal will appear where you can confirm and save your boarding pass to Google Pay.
5. Both mobile app and website users can save their mobile boarding pass to your device’s photo gallery by tapping on the camera icon located in the top right-hand corner.
Note: It is recommended to save your boarding pass via Apple Wallet or Google Pay. These methods allow for automatic updates to the pass if there is a gate change, departure time change, or change made to the boarding time.
Additionally, take note of check-in time before your flight’s departure. If you are within one hour of your flight and have not yet checked in, you will not be able to check in for your flight through the app due to security restrictions. However, as long as you have checked in for your flight at least one hour prior to its scheduled departure time, you will have the ability to reprint a paper boarding pass, or use your mobile boarding pass up until the time your flight departs.
Conclusion – A Guide On Southwest Airlines Mobile Boarding Pass
Be sure to save your mobile boarding pass to your phone for easy accessibility during travel and when you don’t have internet access. It is a good idea to also take a screenshot of your boarding pass, just in case internet issues don’t allow you to load the pass when it’s time to board.
You can, however, still get a printed boarding pass, should you prefer to not utilise a mobile boarding pass. You can print your boarding pass online at the airline’s website Southwest.com or at the airport using a self-service kiosk on the day of departure, prior to your flight’s scheduled departure time.
Suggested Links which May Help You