You must have noticed that when booking a flight, whether it’s a domestic or international destination, you are offered a different cabin class to choose from. Generally, you will see options for Economy, Business, and First Class cabins in most commercial airlines. These travel classes differ from one another in various ways, which we shall see in this post.
In this blog, we will give you an insight on what is business class in flights, including its difference with other class of cabins.
A Brief Overview of Business Class Cabin in Flights
A business class in any given airline carrier is a class of cabin that falls in the category between the economy and first class. Here, the economy class is the basic cabin, whereas the first class is of the highest level, and business class lies in between the two. However, there are some airline carriers that provide only economy and business class to its passengers. Here, the business class is of the highest level.
Now, as the name suggests, business class is most suitable for travellers that are businesspersons, where they have to fly frequently on business trips. But, it is not strictly limited to such businesspersons only as other individuals and groups can also travel in this premium class in comfort. In addition, business class travellers can avail in-flight services and amenities which are not available to passengers travelling in economy coach.
It is also possible to upgrade to a higher coach, if what you are looking for is a bit of luxury throughout your journey. Most airlines will offer upgrades and discounts on upgrades, which may also include several premium or complimentary perks.
How is Business Class different from Economy and First Class Cabins?
Business class in airlines usually differ with the basic economy and the highest-level premium first class cabins in many ways. For instance, when you board your flight, you will immediately notice differences in the quality of seating. But, that’s not all. There are more things that can significantly differ, such as in-flight services that include food, drinks, in-flight entertainment, and other amenities, like lounges and ground transportation etc.
If you are travelling in business class flight to any part of the world, you will have a better experience on long-haul flights than on short-haul flights. This also includes in terms of services that may or may not be available to business class passengers which depend on your travel route.
Many airlines allow you to purchase business class tickets through their frequent flyer and loyalty programs that are usually referenced by different names. These programs let you earn miles or reward points whenever you travel with the airline or its partner airlines. As you accumulate these bonus miles, you can later redeem these miles or reward points to purchase higher class tickets, upgrades, discounts, services and even shop at their partner retails.
In addition to reward points and miles programs, you can also purchase travel credit cards for a fee from your airline carrier. These travel credit cards offer advantages that are similar to reward points, sometimes they offer even more perks.
Airlines that Offer Best Business Class Experience
Here is an in-exhaustive list of a few commercial airline carriers that offer the best business class experience with many amenities and services.
Qatar Airways calls their Business Class coach ‘QSuite’, which makes business class feel a little more like first class. As of now, it is available on few select routes only. The main features of the ‘QSuite’ coach are:
- Leather seats
- Sliding doors that gives more privacy to passengers
- Double beds that allows passengers in adjoining seats to create their own private room
- Adjustable panels
- TV monitors on the centre four seats can be moved, so the four-person group can transform their space for working, dining and entertainment.
EVA Air is based in Taiwan. Its business class is called ‘Royal Laurel Class’ and provides features, such as:
- Seats are configured in reverse herringbone layout for maximum space
- Fixed panels for more privacy
- Seats can be converted into comfortable sleeping space with the push of an in-seat button
- Seats also include a rectangular armrest, a cocktail table, a shoe cabinet, and space to hang jacket
- Other amenities include noise-cancellation headphones, pyjamas and cuisine
ALL Nippon Airways
All Nippon Airways is based in Japan. Its business class is called ‘THE Room’ and offers features that include:
- Seats have a new design that is inspired by Japan’s modern living spaces
- Flexible doors that can be adjusted for space
- Forward and rearward seat layout with a wide sofa
- Space for personal belongings
Singapore Airlines offers quite a few features on their Business Class of cabin. These include:
- Wider seats for more comfort
- Every seat has a large black shell for privacy
- Centre seats can be converted into double beds by lowering the center divider
- The cuisine is prepared by celebrated chefs from around the globe
Delta Air Lines
Delta Airlines is based in the United States. Its business class is called ‘Delta One’ that offers features to passengers, which include:
- The sliding door at each suite gives passengers a private space
- In-flight bedding
- In-flight entertainment
- Amenity kits include skincare products
- In-flight lounge-wear on select flights
Virgin Atlantic airline is based in England. Its Business Class is called ‘Upper Class’ and offers features that include:
- Seats are configured in a 1-2-1 layout
- Every suite faces towards the window and also offers deployable privacy screens
- In-flight entertainment system which can also be controlled by passenger’s electronic devices (such as smartphone)
- A large in-flight bar area called ‘The Loft’
Cathay Pacific airline is based in Hong Kong, China. Its Business Class offers features that include:
- Flat beds which can also be extended for additional comfort
- Side storage compartment offers additional space for sleeping
- Armrest in seats can be lowered for more space or raised higher to get more privacy
- In-flight cuisine
Emirates airline is based in Dubai. Its Business Class offers features that include:
- Seats vary by aircraft and are configured in 1-2-1 and 2-3-2 layouts
- Passengers have direct aisle access
- Solo travellers can enjoy the window seats, while passengers travelling with companions can take the centre of the cabin
- In-flight entertainment
- In-flight bar in the upper deck
- Ground transportation services are also available
Travelling in business class gives you an experience of a different kind. Not to forget the various amenities and services that are included to complement your comfort.